| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Volume Pot Replacement
Ryan Zimmerman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 3:54 pm    

Perhaps this should have been in the Electronics board; sorry if this is the wrong place.

I've got a 1975 MSA Classic, and the built-in volume pot is getting terribly scratchy. Seems to be corrosion; moving it back and forth improves it slightly, but I can never get it anywhere near clean.

I'm decently handy with a soldering iron, so I was considering replacing it. Goes without saying, I'd need an audio taper pot. My multimeter measures it at 21.4kOhm, so I'm guessing it's probably a 22kOhm pot that's lost a bit of resistance with age. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I'm somewhat lost as to finding a pot with the same physical dimensions/specifications, to allow it to mount in the same hole and reattach the knob. Any ideas/suggestions?

Any gotchas with replacing a pot that I'm not thinking of?
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 4:05 pm    

Just my opinion, but the simplest thing would be to just bypass the volume pot. I don't think you will miss having it. I've owned several guitars with volume controls and never used any of them. Lots of guitars have no volume control.
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 5:42 pm    

Buy a can of Deoxit and spray some (not a lot) inside the pot. If no opening spray it down the shaft, work it back and forth a number of times and that should clean it up.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 7:39 pm     Re: MSA Volume Pot Replacement

Ryan Zimmerman wrote:

I've got a 1975 MSA Classic, and the built-in volume pot is getting terribly scratchy...I'm decently handy with a soldering iron, so I was considering replacing it. Goes without saying, I'd need an audio taper pot. My multimeter measures it at 21.4kOhm, so I'm guessing it's probably a 22kOhm pot that's lost a bit of resistance with age. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I'm somewhat lost as to finding a pot with the same physical dimensions/specifications, to allow it to mount in the same hole and reattach the knob.

You can't measure the pot unless you unhook it. At only 22k, you're probably measuring the (lower) pickup resistance across the pot. The pot you need is a 500k pot, regardless of what's in there now. Most of the MSA's used a long bushing pot - almost impossible to find now. You'll have to get a miniature pot (RVC6 mil-spec type) and very carefully counterbore the hole on the outside for the nut and washer. No need to use an audio taper, as anything will work okay here, since you're not concerned about linearity of action. (A linear taper will just result in a quicker volume change.)

And yes, a spray with a cleaner/lube might fix it. Spray the pot front and back, and then rotate the knob quickly 20-30 times. Try that first! Winking
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2022 12:56 pm    

While you are changing the pot, I would suggest you install a switch and a by pass the volume & tone circuit too. I had a MSA S10 that Had a real dark muddy sound. I went underneath the guitar and installed a switch on a plate using available screws, When the guitar was on by pass it had a lot cleaner sound. Gave a person the choice, Through the Volume-Tone control or direct.
sound.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 8:12 am    

That volume and tone circuit is the single most useless, ridiculous, unused and unwanted item ever placed on any pedal steel of any brand.. MSA should never have done it. Just take it out, and throw it away.. NO need for it at all, and the only thing it will do or has ever done, is rob tone and clarity from an otherwise very fine pedal steel guitar.

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......