| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MXR Resonator Pedal
Michael Dene

Gippsland,Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 7:32 pm    

I recently bought the new MXR Resonator Pedal from Tom Bradshaw along with the Little Buddy bar that optionally goes with it.

Very happy with the dobro effect ...I'm not aiming to sound like a dobro ... it's just another sound to add ... like reverb, delay, etc.
Was happily surprised at the range of tonal variation that it has without losing the basic effect.

However, the Little Buddy bar blew me away completely. It adds 50% more to the effect, and on my reso, it's a whole new depth to the sound.

And it's always a pleasure to deal with Tom.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 5:11 am    

"However, the Little Buddy bar blew me away completely. It adds 50% more to the effect, and on my reso, it's a whole new depth to the sound."

What is special about the bar?
What does it appear to be made of?
Is it hollow or solid?
What else?
Picture?
Michael Dene

Gippsland,Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 5:46 pm    

... proper answer is I don't know.

.. however, it is small, both diameter and length (about 2 1/2 in. X 7/8 in), seems to be some sort of very hard and smooth plastic, and it's drilled through and filled with a metal core,about 1/2 in diameter brass I assume.

... hopefully Tom might see this and add some real information.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 6:19 pm    

It's become my go to bar for rock on pedal steel. Less sustain, less high end. Works well with distortion effect. Clean, it's great for a more acoustic sound. Plus it feels good in my hand.

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 6:28 pm    

Be great to market these as a stand alone item
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 9:17 pm    

Is this similar to the plastic bar that came with the Goodrich MatchBro units?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 2:11 am    

That sounds like a copy of the Goodrich Matchbro bar.

I had one of the resonator effect units. Set according to Tom's suggestions using a regular steel bar or my Goodrich Matchbro bar didn't seem to make much difference. Actually the regular steel bar sounded better.

My Goodrich Matchbro died and it didn't look like it would get repaired. I bought the resonator to replace it. The resonator works but the Goodrich Matchbro is the "gold standard" for Dobro simulators (I fool Bluegrass musicians with it). Luckily a forumite came to the rescue with a reverse engineered schematic and I was able to repair the Matchbro. With a working Matchbro I sold the resonator.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 7:42 am    

A few pics:

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 1:51 pm     The

Yes, the Resonator II is now available. I'll have it listed on my website soon. The "Buddy Bar" is nearly a clone of the original bar designed by Buddy Emmons. Same material, same weight, but with the brass exposed in its nose. The whole package (Resonator, power supply, leg clip and Buddy Bar) is $198.00, including domestic shipping. I increased its gain as suggested by some who purchased the original production run.

I've heard from many who have bought it (those who were on my notification list to learn of its availability). Many have mentioned how the Buddy Bar seemed to bring out the best in it.

I will have a lot of new products that I'm adding to my website, thus the delay in getting the Resonator II's information on it. Bear with me. ...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 5 Jan 2022 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 1:59 pm     P.S. to Jack Stoner

Hey Jack, why didn't you tell me the original Resonator "died?" If you still have it, please return it to me for replacement (with the Resonator II) or let me refund your original purchase price for it. Sure wish you would have advised me of this. Everyone knows my policy: "Damn the torpedoes, my customers come first." ...Tom
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2021 11:19 am    

Tom,

Will the Buddy Bar be available, by itself?

Thanks!
Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 8:02 am     Clarifications

No. 1: I misunderstood Jack's post. Sorry 'bout that. He didn't have a problem with the Resonator. The problem was with his MatchBro. He got it fixed and all is well now. I would have refunded his purchase of the Resonator, but he sold it before I knew about his preference to keep using the MatchBro.

No. 2: Yes, the "Buddy Bar" can be purchased separately. It is $36.00. I'm hoping (naturally Very Happy ) that the 500 purchasers of the original Resonator will want to see if it enhances the sound of their unit as mentioned by the author of this post! ...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)
Lance Martin

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 12:16 am    

I use the fishman jerry Douglas aura on my pedal steel. It does a great job making it sound like resonator guitar! I’m guessing the buddy bar would be worth trying .. to drive the sound home even further.
Lance Martin

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2021 12:17 am    

I use the fishman jerry Douglas aura on my pedal steel. It does a great job making it sound like resonator guitar!
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 9:22 am    

Anybody using a glass bottle as a slide with their chosen Dobro effect?

I'm using a thin walled glad bottle I picked up at Hobby lobby. It's quite light so you've got to use more pressure however I suspect that the thin walls contributes significantly to the resonator tone when used in conjunction with my Dano Fish and Chips pedal.

If be curious to hear how it sounds with purpose built Resonator simulator pedals.

This is the bottle I use.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jewelry/Mixed-Media-Jewelry/Mini-Bottles/Cylinder-Glass-Bottles/p/80839941

I removed the cap and play with the opening facing away from me. Gives a nice little place to anchor the tip of your index finger on for controlling the slippery glass bottle.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 9:51 am    

It's about reducing the 'high fidelity' and high sustain characteristics of the best steel guitar bars. Hardness, high polish (smoothness) and mass are their primary properties. Scuff up a bar, reduce its weight, deliberately kill full-spectrum harmonics.......these all assist electronic reso-devices in simulating the resonator guitars. I consider this part of it to be a 'last few percent' factor in a good sounding device. Helpful but not essential.

btw, last year, on whim, I tried PSG thru a Fishman Jerry Aura and was pleasantly surprised. It got me maybe 80% of what a MatchBro used to do for me. And by being a bit less honk-y, to me it's actually a little more musical, even if not quite as extreme as the Goodrich.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 3:13 pm    

Is the new "II" version different circuitry and different sounding? I tried the original and it didn't work out for me and of course, Tom took care of it Smile

bob
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2022 7:47 pm    

I got a bar in a box of parts and pieces I got from a steel/DoBro playing acquaintance's widow. It is nylon with a 3/8" brass rod in its center. It makes good resonator sounds with my DoBro simulator setup.

It is the White Nylon bar (4th from left) in this picture. The dowel rod bar (5th from left) is good, But not not as sharp or clear as the nylon bar.