| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carp steels ???
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 2:31 pm    

What ever happen to carp pedal steels by Gary carpenter. Is he still making them or out of business .

Pw
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2024 4:22 am    

Any body knowledge of carp steels
???
Pw
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2024 8:55 am    

I had an S10 3+4 Carpsteel. It was an all-aluminum body, wood neck, all-pull 3R-3L changer. It was a lightweight steel but not a student model. They have not been made for a long time, and used ones don't come up for sale often. There have been discussions of the Carpsteel in the past with info on history, etc. that should turn up with a search.

I don't think I've ever seen a D10 Carpsteel like the one in your picture. That one looks more like a conventional cabinet. The ones I've seen have all been S10s with an aluminum body somewhat like the Sierra Artist and very much like the later ETS steels. I seem to remember a link between ETS and Carpsteel but I don't know if I read that somewhere or just made the assumption based on their nearly identical appearance.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 3:51 am    

Bruce Derr wrote:
I had an S10 3+4 Carpsteel. It was an all-aluminum body, wood neck, all-pull 3R-3L changer. It was a lightweight steel but not a student model. They have not been made for a long time, and used ones don't come up for sale often. There have been discussions of the Carpsteel in the past with info on history, etc. that should turn up with a search.

I don't think I've ever seen a D10 Carpsteel like the one in your picture. That one looks more like a conventional cabinet. The ones I've seen have all been S10s with an aluminum body somewhat like the Sierra Artist and very much like the later ETS steels. I seem to remember a link between ETS and Carpsteel but I don't know if I read that somewhere or just made the assumption based on their nearly identical appearance.

I always thought the ETS and Carpsteel were "related" in some way.. They looked identical to me.. I had an ETS, and sold it REAL cheap, and am actually sorry I did.. Light as a feather, like a Maverick or something similar, well made, easy to play, accurate, and a great " old school" classic pedal steel sound like the great old steel sounds of the mid 60's.. i wish I still had that little ETS.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2024 7:32 am    

The Carpsteel on that guitar I think was a bit of humor by Gary Carpenter just to be ornery.