| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JayDee Maness & Paul Franklin - today and tomorrow
John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 1:16 pm    

We’re in Music City USA! Tonight- Sunday Night- we are going to see the Desert Rose Band at the CMHOF. I can’t wait! These guys are so very talented. Since I was a California boy in the 60’s to 90’s…Been following Chris, Herb, JayDee and the late Bill forever.

Then on Monday, off to 3’rd & Lindsley to see some other mildly talented folks (that’s a horribly big lie and total mis-truth) rather super talented folks that amaze me every time I see them. Paul makes it look so easy!

I’m in Hog Heaven!!!!

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 8:04 pm     Just back from Desert Rose Band Concert

Those guys still have it! And then Some!!!! It was a spectacular show…..Worth twice the price of admission. JayDee and John did not disappoint! Mark Fain was on bass and carried it quite nicely. We happened to see and briefly spoke to one of Mark’s old bosses……some unknown Mando player, I think his name was Richard. Yes, none other than the great Ricky Skaggs (I’m a huge Ricky fan as well, especially with Bruce.Bouton, with Buck and Cheryl White. What a treat! I heard one of the Museum folks say that this was the last time DRB would play together. So sad, because these guys still kick some very serious musical butt.

For you “Super Steeliest”, if I am not mistaken JayDee was playing that single neck EMMONS that I think there were some posts about and that it may have been one of Larry Sasser’s guitars. It gave great sounds and like most Steelers, I wished it was a tad bit hotter in the mix. I just love that band’s sound.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 10:31 pm    

Always really liked that band and have followed some of the members for several years prior.

I had no idea the band was doing anything recent.

You say John, I assume Jorgensen?

JayDee is one of my heroes too. Such a great player.

What an assimilation of fabulous musicians. Must have been a real treat.
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 3:59 pm    

Where's my ENVY emoji when I need it?
John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2022 7:39 pm     It just gets better all the time!

I could not have planned this in advance….I’m not complaining. So, it’s Monday night, still in Nashville. So, where else would a wanna-be Steel player be? Yup, at 3’rd & Lindsey. When we got there and were checking in. Mr. Paul Franklin was standing there. So I said Hi and then thanked him for all he does for the Steel community. He was such a gentleman, genuine and humble and he continued the conversation for at least 5 more minutes. He is such a great person and a player.

So, we get to our table and met some really nice people before we entered. Shared a table with them for the show; turns out another forumite and his lovely wife. At the table literally right next to us was More Steel Guitar Royalty- Lloyd Green and JayDee Maness. So, even though I was mostly tongue-tied, I got to speak one on one with 3 of the my all-time PSG heroes in 1 night.

The Time-Jumpers were extraordinary as always. Paul was remarkable as always. With they played a couple of Tammy Wynette tunes, I wonder what Lloyd and Paul were thinking. During the show, Paul actually spoke about both Lloyd’s and JayDee’s accomplishments. Lloyd stood up and then as also a true gentleman said, “you are listening to the best!”

For Jerry- yes it was John Jorgenson. Such a talent!!!!!