| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnum Guitars
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 9:08 am    

Just wanted to say a word or two about these guitars. I bought this about a month ago from a fellow formite and was little Leary about how they sound and play. Was I surprised, this thing sounds awesome and plays so smooth and positive. When I got it, it only had 7 pedals. Someone had taken 8th pedal off and still wondering why but a big thanks to Mitchell Smithy, got 8 back on with original parts.

Most of you know I’m a push pull guy but this guitar sounds really close and the big plus of this guitar is it’s so light. Didn’t weigh it but picking up feels like a single 10.

It’s basically a Carter with a few improvements I would say. 14 hole bell cranks, the little springs that hold pull rods on bell cranks and a 4 x 2 changer. It is anodized, not shiny and was made as Carters cheaper line of guitars to be kept in stock and sold in music stores. Don’t know how many were made but would love to know.
Im playing this guitar exclusively and I doubt I change anytime soon, lol

How Many of you own and play a Magnum?

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 9:19 am    

Looks like she's playin' one too !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHyf5uMlP1s
Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 9:20 am    

I have a blue d-10 love it.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 9:29 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
Looks like she's playin' one too !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHyf5uMlP1s

Yes, Sara played Magnum for a long time. First time I saw her, think she was playing one.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 2:44 pm    

The Magnum was as good as any other of the pro-level Carter guitars.
Some parts were simplified (bell cranks) and the finish bypassed the tedious polishing.
John Fabian was an artist at cost-engineering. It's what made Carter possible and paired with an early awareness of what e-marketing could trigger when the internet just got into homes, it paid out and propelled the company into the largest number guitars manufacturer of it's time.

I wished the company had survived John and Bud, it would still be a great brand today.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2022 9:24 pm    

J D Sauser wrote:
The Magnum was as good as any other of the pro-level Carter guitars.
Some parts were simplified (bell cranks) and the finish bypassed the tedious polishing.

I wished the company had survived John and Bud, it would still be a great brand today.

... J-D.

Yes, agree with you J.D. The reason I was a little Leary about buying this guitar is the fact that I’ve owned several Carter D-10’s and just never liked the sound of them but really like this Magnum it sings and has sparkle the Carters I owned didn’t.
Yes, the bell cranks are just stamped and the finish I guess was cheaper than polished aluminum. They may be stamped but I’ll take the 14 hole bell cranks any day over the dog bones, lol.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2022 2:13 am    

Henry, good to know from a player perspective. I have passed on these because I doubted their quality. Looks like I was wrong.
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2022 12:17 pm    

Henry,
Also bought a MAGNUM this year and it has turned into one of my favorites. Nothing on this guitar is "low end" in my opinion. Good updates from the original CARTERS. I now play:
MAGNUM
JUSTICE
MSA
Williams

All great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWu-08HNiUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgo31g-KT4
John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 8:26 am     Magnum with sound sample

I have owned and played my Magnum D10 for almost 14 years. It has been my "go to" steel for some of the reasons already listed, i.e., tone, sustain, smooth pedal action, stays in tune well, and is lighter than many D10s - mine is 58.5 pounds in the case.

With a Magnum, it is very easy to make changes in the setup. I have added a couple of pulls over the years. Very simple and straightforward to work on. My guitar is the green woodgrain laminate finish, but I put red vinyl wrap on the front apron a couple of years ago.

I have owned several other guitars during the past few years. They were all good, but I keep coming back to the Magnum. Below is a video slideshow with me playing the Magnum on the sound track. [You might recognize some of the folks in the photos Smile ].....

https://youtu.be/k430gT363Q4

And here is a pic of my guitar

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 11:06 am    

I wonder if all Magnums came out with GeorgeL pickups. Mine has an E66 on C neck and a 10-1 on E9th. What pickups do some of you have?
I’m not real fond of GeorgeL pickups though they sound fine on this guitar but can’t help thinking that maybe single coils would improve this already great sounding guitar.

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2022 11:53 am     Pickups

Henry, mine came with those sane George L pickups, but with E66 on E9th and 10-1 on C6th. I believe that George Ls were also standard on most Carter steels.
I had Wallace Truetone single coils in it for a while, and the guitar sounded really good. But, I got tired of occasional hum in some places. On E9th, I have Telonics X1O. The adjustable pole pieces on the X10 make it possible to get the most from a guitar, in my opinion.