| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith Tone Bar just arrived
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 4:42 am    

I just recieved a tone bar from Todd Clinesmith. I got a 3/4 X 3 bar 4.5 + ounces.

I have to say I really like the feel and tone of this bar. It seems to slide across the strings with very low friction.

I have a few arrangements where I hold out whole note chords while doing a slow motion trill down & up a half step. With my steel tone bars there was much more string noise. With Todd's bar the string noise is almost gone.

https://www.clinesmithinstruments.com/clinesmith-bars-and-accessories

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 5:27 am    

Out of all the tone bars I purchased, the Clinesmith is at the top of my list. Beyond the tone, they have a good feel as well.
Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 10:40 am    

Mine has gotten scratched up over the years so it's much louder on the strings now. Still really like the tone though and the noise isn't worse than my metal bars. It's very different than my eezzee slide.

I know I should be able polish back to new, but after an hour or two of tv with some autosol aluminum polish and jewellers cloth I didn't seem to make much progress. Any recommendations on some other polishes to try out that wont wreck the bar?
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2022 4:21 pm    

If you have scratches in it you will have to start with around 1200 wet/dry paper and work you way finer (as in larger number) I just finished making one (from scratch) and started with 600, 1200, 1800 and then used diamond lapping compound on it. All this was done in a lathe, so it would stay round. If you do it by hand you are bound to get flat spots on it. After I did that, I chucked it in a hand drill so it was spinning at low speed and took it over to the buffing wheel and used white finishing compound on it. It is a must to keep it rotating so you don't get flat spots on it. You don't have to spin it fast, just keep it rotating.