| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A 'Shoe is Not a 'Shoe is Not a 'Shoe...
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2022 9:40 pm    

Guys:

I wonder how many of us are aware that few "newer" fry pan copies actually have Rick-style magnetic horseshoes?

There was recently a Scotty Frypan prototype for sale here on the forum that advertised a 1.5" shoe and I had to--in the interest of fairness in advertising--note that the horseshoe was merely a pick-up cover and not a genuine shoe.

I also later discovered, after owning and selling both a Scotty frypan AND a JB Frypan, that BOTH guitars had "fake" horseshoes.

SO I wondered how many of us were aware of this fact--especially when it comes to the J.B. Frypans. I've seen quite a few of these for sale on the Forum and don't think I've ever seen a mention that the horseshoe is purely cosmetic.

As far as I can tell, the only commercially available guitars with genuine magnetic shoes are Todd Clinesmith's beautiful creations:

I know that Lollar makes a really nice magnetic horseshoe, but I haven't seen any guitars that feature them.

Are there others?! Fill us in here. And, please, if I got any details wrong here, kindly correct me. I know you folks out there always know more than I do!

Peace,

Mark
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 6:38 am    

Mark Helm wrote:

I know that Lollar makes a really nice magnetic horseshoe, but I haven't seen any guitars that feature them.

Jeff Au Hoy and Bobby Ingano are playing these ...

https://www.jhsteelguitars.com/
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2022 6:31 am    

Rick Aiello wrote:
Mark Helm wrote:

Jeff Au Hoy and Bobby Ingano are playing these ...

https://www.jhsteelguitars.com/

Thanks for that!! I was in Waikiki this July and after his set, I asked Jeff about his guitar...he mentioned it was made by a guy from Canada but I don't think was certain of the details off hand. So that's the mystery luthier!

It sounded great, but then...not to take away from the guitar...those guys could make anything sound good!
Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 6:26 am    

Checking out the website, the builder is Dutch, seems to use Canadian Maple for some of his builds, possibly that caused the confusion...
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2022 7:14 am    

Dutch by birth (as were my ancestors! bring on the tulips, windmills, and wooden shoes! Smile ), but his contact page shows him presently in Langenburg, Saskatchewan.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2022 8:44 pm    

I have a beautiful guitar built by the late Tom Pettingill that features a Lollar horseshoe. I also have a Clinesmith Frypan. Both horseshoes sound great, but I’m giving the edge to my Clinesmith.

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2022 2:48 pm    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
I have a beautiful guitar built by the late Tom Pettingill that features a Lollar horseshoe. I also have a Clinesmith Frypan. Both horseshoes sound great, but I’m giving the edge to my Clinesmith.

Gosh, that's a pretty guitar! I've seen a similar guitar made by Chuck Moore (for his own use...the guy is an insane luthier specializing in 'ukuleles and is just gifted beyond measure with making gorgeous things out of wood, and he took up steel guitar a while back) with the same pattern, "what if B6es were made out of wood, particularly figured wood".

Good to know that the Clinesmith compares favorably to the Lollar in your opinion, especially given the steep Lollar price tag...although I wonder how much of the difference in tone has to do with the pickup, and how much the construction, with a solid cast aluminum body compared to wood. I bet both sound pretty nice (but the Pettingill wins the Swimsuit Competition Very Happy )