| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  15" speaker: Peavey BW 1501 vs.1503 ? and BW 12" ?
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 28 May 2024 3:21 am    

Dear forum, 

Some time ago I made a post about  choosing 15" speakers. And i got my hands on some different ones. 

So I am not using it for steel at the moment, just regular electric guitars (mostly Stratocasters). 

In my rehearsal space one of the bands has two Peavey BW continental 115 PA speakers, with 15" Black Widow 1501 (spider print) speakers in them. I got permission to take out one and put in a 1 to 1 similar peavey continental 115 cabinet I have (just removed the tweeters etc. - actually a super strong and compact cabinet).

And HOLY S ! The sound of that single 15" Peavey Black Widow 1501 with my 50W dumble/redplate amp blew my mind. It seems like a perfect balance of high power, since it is 350 watts and the slight crisp paper touch from the aluminum dome. Right away I asked if they would sell those two PA cabinets to me, but they declined me offer.... And research has not let me to find other ones online, neither cabinets or single speakers. 

So ended up comparing the Black Widow 1501 to both the EVM 15L and JBL E130. My results are as follow: 

1. Black Widow 1501 takes the number one spot, no doubts. It is almost a perfect mix of the EVM 15L and the JBL E130. Crisp alu dome with the same high power of the EVM. Very well balanced speaker.

2. EVM 15L - also a very good speaker. The EVM has an incredible 3D like sound to it. Very full sounding. It sometimes sounds slightly muffled when using fuzz and drive. 

3. JBL E130 - was a bit of a disappointment - it has somewhat of a "dry" tone to it. It is also peaking in the mids and upper mids as I hear it. This might be great for fender amps, as they are known to be mid scooped. So adding the JBL E130 would balance things out a bit. Also, the mid heaviness I feel could be useful for guitar solos, same as a tube screamer boosts the upper mids to cut through the live mix. 

I will sell the JBL for sure and I really hope to find one or two Black Widow 1501's some day ! BUT I see the 1503 more often, also with spider print. They look very very similar ? Does anyone know the difference between the 1501 and 1503 (spider print) models ? 

And also, I see that there is a Black Widow 1201 that comes stock in the Peavey 2445 Floor Monitors.

Has anyone any experience with the 12" version for electric guitar ? 

- Also, if anyone is selling any type of Black Widow speaker 15" or 12", shoot me a message !

Any input is very greatly appreciated ! 

Last edited by Rasmus Broegaard on 29 May 2024 12:18 am; edited 8 times in total
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 May 2024 5:08 am    

1503 was used in the early Peavey SP-2 PA speaker cabinets. I never tried them in a steel amp. I have a 1501 flat magnet spider in my old Session 400. Great speaker. I had 3 different years of 1501 speakers at one time and compared them side by side in identical cabinets. All 3 had a different tone, but the spider flat magnet was best. Currently, I have a pair of the 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers. They match the flat magnet 1501 in tone.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 31 May 2024 9:50 am    

Thank you for the reply.

I found two used Peavey Continetal BW 115 PA speakers near me. These are from 1982 and has BW 1503 and the speakers from my rehearsal space is from 1979, and has BW 1501 speakers. So it seems to me at least that the 1503 might just be a replacement for the 1501, thus an equal more or less.

You say out of the three different 1501's you had, the spider flat magnet was best (that is the same one I have tried and love). But what are the characteristics of the others (so I know what to maybe avoid) ? - not flat magnet ? no spider print ? Maybe the magnet looks more like the 1502?

And also, did you use them in open og closed back cabinets/amps ? I a ask, since my peavey cabinet it currently cloed back (although with a small gap at the bottom). And I am a vintage fender amp guy, so I am thinking if cutting out part of the back would make it more oraganic or natural sounding ? The EVM deffinatly has a boomy bass in the closed back cap. And the Black widow a little bit as well.

And also, I am suprised that not more people have tried both the 1501 and the 1503, as the look and seem almost identical:

1503: https://reverb.com/item/6236070-peavey-model-1503-black-widow-speaker-a
1501: https://reverb.com/item/8447659-peavey-1501-black-widow-15-speaker-4-ohm
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 2:13 pm    

As a past diehard JBL fan, my least favorite was the E series. Just not as good as the D or K series.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 8:16 pm    

It's been several years ago that I compared the three different years of 1501 speakers. I don't recall the exact difference in characteristics. I compared them side by side in two identical open back cabinets. At the time, I was surprised that the 1501's didn't sound the same. I kept the flat magnet model and sold the other two. Two years ago, I purchased a pair of Eminence Wheelhouse 200 speakers. They are more efficient (louder) and slightly better sound than the 1501. The frequency graph between the Wheelhouse and 1501 is very similar, but the Wheelhouse has a dip at 500hz, which is good.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 8:32 pm    

There are response curve charts and Thiele/Small parameter information online for Super Structure 1501-4 and 1502 but I haven't been able to find any data for the 1503 for comparison. I would imagine the response curve is quite different due to it's application being for FOH/sound reinforcement v. musical instrument.

There used to be more info on Peavey website, but it seems all of the older stuff has been taken down thus, I have not been able to find any such data for the 1st gen spider web flat mag drivers.

Be aware that used BW speakers may need maintenance due to deteriorated foam plug in the vent having fallen out and into the voice coil.

In your 1503 link, the speaker from NJ shows the condition to which I refer.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 8:54 pm    

Both of the 1503's that I took out of my SP2 cabinets quit working because of the foam that turned into tar.
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 12:08 pm    

Thank you all for the replies !

Might have to try the JBL K then. I did not like the D at all when I tried it.

I found out the 15" speakers in the cabinet I was offered are the 1503 but not spider web, but "super structure version", similar to this one:
https://reverb.com/item/62500520-vintage-peavey-black-widow-1503-super-structure-speaker-with-bw-equipped-grille-black

And here is pictures of the ones in the cabinet I am offered:

I cannot find anything on the Black Widow 1503 "super structure" 8 ohm anywhere. Not mentioned in the catalogue or here: https://peavey.com/black-widow-super-structure/

Anyone who have tried this speaker ? Could I assume it is within same ballpark as the Black Widow 1501 flat magnet spider print speakers ? or could it be completely different ?

Also, anyone who knows if these speakers are suitable for swapping out the magnet on the back for one of the flat 1501 spider print ones ?

Also, Jerry Overstreet, how can I see this "deteriorated foam plug in the vent having fallen out and into the voice coil." ? Can you tell from the picture I posted here ?

Thank you all[/quote]
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 12:17 pm    

My experience with the foam filter inside the vent is that it eventually melts, turns into tar and locks up the voice coil. I had this happen on two 1503 speakers. I managed to pull the magnet off of one and slightly boogered the coil. The other one was locked on from the tar and destroyed the coil getting it off. Both speakers were beyond repair and Peavey no longer manufactured the baskets.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2024 12:49 pm    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=213959&highlight=black+widow+maintainance+maintenance

Here's a topic concerning the foam plug on BWs.

No, I can't see it from the picture you posted.

In many cases the speaker can be salvaged by removing the magnet and cleaning our all the debris and residue from the magnet coil gap and from the voice coil itself as shown in the link above.

In rare cases such as to which Dennis alludes if left too long and in heated conditions the foam will be so gooey and set up that it's impossible to repair. I've only had one speaker that couldn't be saved this way. It was an old 1502 flat mag spider. I think the voice coil was warped and I could never get it stopped from rubbing in the gap.

There are just things to be aware of with Black Widows.
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 11:54 am    

Thank you for the link !

I actually saw this inside one of the 1501 I tried, but I though it was small peices of stones ? they where all loose and falling around inside and I could see them through the small metal grill on the magnet.

Also, Dennis Detweiler,

Did you try the 1503's ? or where they never playable ? just to compare to the 1501 flat mag spider print.

Also I saw your post here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=216166&view=next&sid=077be84a0b95d7cc6213249ec2bbdd6b

from what I read in there, if the model is "super structure" i guess I cannot change the magnet for a flat spider print one ?

the 1503 speakers I am looking to buy is from 1982 and the spider web flat mag is from 1979.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 8:05 pm    

My 1503's were in my early 80's SP-2 PA cabinets. They stopped working in those cabinets. I never tried them with steel. However, I replaced the 1503's with 1505's and tried them with steel and liked them.

Last edited by Dennis Detweiler on 4 Jun 2024 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 5:38 am    

Okay, I guess I will pull the trigger on them and hope they sound just recenably close to the 1501's !
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 10:44 am    

One more question, Dennis Detweiler, do you by chance know if the Black Widow 1501 Flat Mag sprider print is made with Kevlar impregnated cones ? I see that the super structure models are made with Kevlar.

This is according to peavey "The Kevlar impregnated cone is stiffer than an equivalent weight paper cone, reducing the tendency of the cone to distort the shape of the voice coil, thus avoiding rubs and scrapes. Superior power handling results from the increased stiffness, especially with large cone excursions."

I am guessing that if the 1501 is not made with kevlar, but regular paper, it probably has a very different sound
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2024 12:20 pm    

Mine looks like paper. Maybe why they sound better than the later ones?
Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 10:54 am    

The original 1501 black widows (spider web decal on flat magnet) cones were Paper cones--no kevlar.
Kevlar came later.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 11:01 am    

I use a 1203 in a cabinet when I use a rack system. I REALLY like it. A little heavy, but I’m ok with the weight since nothing else is in the cabinet. I believe the 1201 was for use in sound equipment, not instrument equipment.
Rasmus Broegaard

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 12:11 pm    

Jeffrey Maxwell wrote:
The original 1501 black widows (spider web decal on flat magnet) cones were Paper cones--no kevlar.
Kevlar came later.

Yes exactly ! I am just a bit confused by the years etc.

As the cabinets I am offered has 1503 "super structure" speakers in them and they are from 1982. And from what I read, the "super structure" speakers use kevlar. However, there seems to exist aboslutly no information about the "1503 super structure" model online. The model is not mentioned in this PDF or on the website: https://assets.peavey.com/literature/specs/116644_13607.pdf

this one seems similar to the 1503's I am offered, but looks more like kevlar than paper: https://reverb.com/item/62500520-vintage-peavey-black-widow-1503-super-structure-speaker-with-bw-equipped-grille-black

So is it safe to assume it is kevlar as long as it is called "super structure" ?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2024 12:19 pm    

Kevlar was not in use in the Spider Web era. As I recall it was only the late 80s, early 90s that the started using kevlar in every model except the 1203-4 and the 1501-4 which were still paper cone. These 2 models of ones were paper from the start and continued to be paper as long as they were in production.

I think you can rule out Kevlar being used in any of the 1503 era drivers.

Anyway, kevlar doesn't necessarily kill all the desirable characteristics of the speaker. It's just that the all cellulose untreated cone is the most desirable for musical instrument use.

I still have a couple of recent 1203-8s with Kevlar impreg. cones. Still sound just fine.
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2024 5:51 pm     Peavey Black Widow 15s

I have a pair that are in Peavey Classic E115 cabs,they are great. 1502-8 with Kevlar. Smile