| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Helpful Tip
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 1:17 pm    

If you paint or finish a lapsteel usually the tuner holes get a build up of finish. If you plug them sometimes it tends not to spray right around the plug. I drilled my holes for my Gotoh bushings at 11/32" or .343". Bushings started nicely the way they should. After 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear the holes closed up a lot. I didn't want to spend the money on a reamer, and I knew the point and lips on a drill cause havoc to the edge of a hole. I took the 11/32" drill and chucked it in my hand drill. I held it at an angle on the belt sander and put a taper on it. I then got rid of the point and chamfered the two edges where the point was. I ran it in the headstock from the back and had the RPM's very slow. It worked like a charm, no splits, chips, cracks, etc. I hope this helps someone before they make a costly mistake. BTW, The drill only needs to be tapered a half inch back and when finished you can grind the point back on if you like or save the tapered drill for your next project. Very Happy

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 2:27 pm    

I grok.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 2:35 pm    

JB Bobbitt wrote:
I grok.

Gee JB........I had to look that one up! Now I Grok!