| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The "Ideal" Band
Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 8:32 am    

Ive been at the steel for about 40 yrs, play both necks, played thousands of gigs. Back 30 yrs ago, there were so many good country bands and I practiced my tail off to keep up. I worked my way up to the top bands and everything was great. Wow, im going to do this forever! ...woa cowboy... Today, I couldnt find a steel gig to save my life. Oh yea, I play, but half the night is rock n roll. I have gigs today because I can play Van Halen, Doobie brothers, Hotel California on guitar, my steel which is my main instrument takes a back seat. Im always in the wrong band, I thought over the years. After looking and looking, my best option is to fill the car up with gas (In other words, 'pay to play' ) and drive to Oklahoma. At least there are a few folks down there that still get it. Over the years, I am getting pretty good at the virtual band, thats running my recording studio with all the computer bells and whistles. Programs like 'band in the box' and 'Pro tools' are my only option. I have flashbacks of playing "My window faces the south" (Which I havent played live in so many yrs, nobody knows it). I guess im turning into an Old fart that would love to go back in time. Also, moving is not an option, Im stuck here on the moon!
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 10:36 am    

A lot of people I talk to both. young and old say the music they really like is the old country and they bring up names like Mel Street, Faron Young, Hank Snow, Keith Whitley and others. Admittedly these are people who work or are at used books stores etc so they may be the typical music customers.
Rollin Schmidt

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 10:42 am     Ideal band

Het Kurt sent you a pm
Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 10:42 am    

After rereading, I apologize If this comes across negative. This Forum is designed to aid, help and encourage all forms of Steel Guitar. Steel Guitar is not an easy road and Im sure Buddy Emmons had his share of Ups and Downs. Nevertheless, on a positive note, anytime frustration sets in, you can always tune out the whole world, put on some steel music, and be inspired to just practice another approach to the steel and for nothing else, self satisfaction. Playing out is not everything! Good , now I feel better.
Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 11:31 am     Sign of the times

I remember going to the car when the cops were there arresting people were being arrested for dui when they unlocked they're car
Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 11:40 am    

OMG Larry Gurley, how the heck are you? Can you believe Ive been playing this crazy thing for this many years and it all started the day you let me sit on your Steel in the 70's (un supervised that is). Anybody reading this, can you imagine letting some Van Halen wanna be kid attacking your Steel unsupervised. Anyway, your a good man LG!
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 8:45 pm     Re: The 'Ideal' Band

The Ideal Band. They can play whatever they want.

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2022 5:14 pm     Kurt graber

Kurt, gimme call

At 928 514 3999 b 4 o go like a
Loose rubber and slip off l g