| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Classic - Can I add Knee Levers?
Jimmy Rogers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 2:37 pm    

Hi all,

I'm looking at an MSA Classic D10. It has 8 pedals but only 2 knee levers on right side and I believe they manipulate the F or F#. Is it possible to add the 2 levers on the left side to make it a 4 lever? I do not know the year.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 2:53 pm    

I have a 1970 Classic D-10 that originally had 2 KLs. A previous owner added 2 more, so yes.

Have no idea who did the work or when, but they look stock.
The factory, maybe?

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 4:41 pm     Knee leavers

Yes it can. You need bell cranks rods holders
Cross shaft psh has parts. I have done a lot of adding knee levers to msa guitars. If your new
I can help...

Pw
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 7:00 pm    

My old '75 Classic had 4 levers and I added 4 more. Some of the parts were my own design, and they worked well. I had it in my collection for several years, it was just too heavy to carry around much, even though I built a set of split, wheeled flight cases for it. The guitar body and case still weighed 70 lbs, the pedal, legs, and rods case weighed 30 lbs.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 7:24 pm    

Players often ask this question, and the truth is that you can add additional levers to any guitar. How much it will cost, and how much of a challenge it will be, depends on your particular mechanical skills, and how much money you have. When I bought my second pedal steel, it came with two levers. I bought a kit to add another, which cost $75 at the time. But when I looked at the parts, I said to myself..."Shucks, I coulda' made all this stuff", so I preceded to get some metal and fashioned five more levers myself, with nothing but a drill press, a hacksaw, and a few taps and files.

If you advertise for parts, you will probably find them right here on the Forum. And if you're not up to the task, you can find someone who will do the job for you. (But it probably won't be cheap.). Expect to pay $150 to $250 per lever if you can't do the work yourself.
Jimmy Rogers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 8:31 pm    

Guys, thank you for the information. I am new to this. Will be my first PSG. My concern with only having the 2 levers on the right is that I'll be missing some ability to create certain chords or voicings and wont be happy with it. Knowing that I can add levers gives me a little more confidence in buying it.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2022 8:44 pm    

I don't know what your are paying for it, but have you considered other guitars that already have the extra knee levers installed?

I would suggest you weigh the cost of adding at least 2 and probably 3 knees to that old MSA against a more modern guitar already set up.

As has been pointed out, mods are expensive. I know most of us are price conscious but you might be getting a good deal on the MSA that will afford your adding kits later. Best of Luck.
Jimmy Rogers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 5:52 am    

I would rather get one that already has the extra knee levers and is already set up. This is the only guitar I've found close to me here close to houston. Do any of yall know of anyone that sells PSG around the houston area?
Thom Gustafson

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 8:09 am    

Michael Yahl makes knee lever kits for old MSA guitars. I added two knee levers and a 1/2 stop for my second string knee lever. Here's his site for MSA parts:
https://www.psgparts.com/MSA_c10.htm
Thom Gustafson

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 8:37 am    

I see now that the MSA knee lever kits at Michael Yahl's site are all currently listed as "out of stock".
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 8:42 am    

I don't know of any dealers around Houston since Herb Remington has passed away, but there are at least 40 some members in the Houston area that may be able to point you towards something in the area or region. They might also be able to guide you concerning support, technical issues, what to avoid etc.

I don't mean to discourage you about the MSA. I don't know your budget, so it may suit your needs if you're up to installing or having installed the parts you are going to want.

Michael stays pretty busy, so he may have the parts you want by the time you need them.
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 10:06 am    

If you called Michael Yahl, he may be able to make the parts up, at least you'd know. As you can see from his site, you're looking at close to $300 worth of parts. If you're at all mechanically inclined, MSA's aren't too difficult to work on. I've moved my changes around, and added a vertical lever to mine.

The real question is whether you want to deal with all that, and when you add in the price of parts, can you buy something fully equipped for the same price? The general feeling about older MSA's is that they are one of the most solid and reliable instruments, but have a "dark" tone that some people don't like. They often sell for less than other comparably equipped guitars, making them a bargain for beginners. If you're getting this at a real bargain, and you're mechanically inclined, go for it. Otherwise, you'd be better off holding out for something with the setup you want.
Roger Hand

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 12:47 pm     msa parts

tom bradshaw who is on the forum , used to have the kits you need .
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 2:05 pm     You don't need a Corvette to learn to drive!

Jimmy, if you're considering becoming a pedal steeler, that steel has all you will need...for many years. Players here are apt to tell you something like "...you need a minimum of 4 or 5 levers", but that's simply not the case when you're starting out. What you need is something that will stay in tune, and be reliable, sturdy, and easy to work on.

That MSA is a very solid and capable guitar.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2022 4:27 am    

Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars North county is also worth a call...

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......