| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Music Arranger" Question
Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 9:52 am    

I know there are lots of posts about back up tracks. Many folks offer them and I have several. However, we all have listened to Tony Browne, Sarah Jory and Dave Hartley on YouTube. Does anyone know how to create the rhythm tracks like they have? I would like to create my own tracks for my own use and I was told there are "music arranger" keyboards where one can create tacks with bass lines and rhythm guitar tracks using canned loops and add violin or even orchestral accompaniment, but I do not see anything that fits that description. (And no, my "source" couldn't suggest one.)
Does anyone know how this is done without breaking the bank? What hardware would one look for? I know I can get software to do this, but I'd rather not take my Mac out of the house when I play and I do better if I can use an actual instrument to create the tracks - like a keyboard - instead of a computer keyboard. Thanks for any suggestions!
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 9:56 am    

There are a couple of programs (apps) that will do tracks other than Band In A Box. Chordpulse is one and ireal pro is an app for your ipad. Go to youtube and search these names and there are tutorials for both.
I'm sure that there are many more as well.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 6:37 pm    

OR.....
You can buy a multitrack digital recorder and build your own backing tracks. Your session players will do it whenever you want, exactly the way you want, as many takes as you want, and won't charge you a dime! Winking
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 8:39 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:
OR.....
You can buy a multitrack digital recorder and build your own backing tracks. Your session players will do it whenever you want, exactly the way you want, as many takes as you want, and won't charge you a dime! Winking

I have all that gear and have been doing backing tracks and recording for people for years but sometimes you just want something quick and easy.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 7:59 am     "Music Arranger" Question

I guess I wasn't clear. So sorry. I was looking for hardware not software. I have Garage Band, but I prefer using a keyboard to create rhythms and accompaniment if I can. It doesn't matter. I don't play other instruments like guitar or drums where I can play rhythm like most of you folks to create digital tracks. I'll just search the web. I thought someone may have some legitimate suggestions to offer.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 8:24 am    

Band in a Box is a quick and easy tool for making backing tracks. You can make a track in five minutes. Just enter the chords, pick a style, mix the instruments (bass, drums, guitar, piano, strings), set the tempo and go. And you can make (and save) a wav file of your track with a couple of clicks. It’s pretty easy. Import the mixed wav file to garage band and add your keyboard and steel guitar.
Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 8:44 am    

Thank you, Doug.... I have to say I was hoping to not have to learn another software package, but maybe that's the best route. Thank you for taking the time to answer. I hope you have a great new year!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 10:02 am    

Thanks Roger, you might want to check out some of the BIAB tutorials on YouTube to get an idea of how it works. I'm still using the 2008 version, which is ancient by today's standards. Nowadays I use it for drums ("real drums") and bass only. I make a Wav of those two and import it to Audacity and then I add (I play) a few guitar tracks and lastly add the steel guitar.