| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dekley Pull rod thread size
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 3:11 pm    

I need to thread a couple of pull rods for a Dekley, pre- slimline. They are 1/8" rods. I will be re-using the nylon tuners. So I need the correct die for the rod.

I am almost done rebuilding the S10 I inherited. I'm changing it over to a C6 practice guitar. I need a 3rd rod on pedal 1 (p5) and a 3rd rod for LKL ( p8 ).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 5:15 pm    

I believe it's 5-40, but with a smaller rod, (brass?), 6-32 will work, too, but would need a new tuner. Also: if the bell crank original set screws are 1/16 allen, you can replace them with 6-32 allen cap scews, which raises your allen requirement from 1/16 to 7/64. (The 1/16 allen strips, easily.)
.........Pat.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2022 8:44 pm    

Check the thread Diameter and Threads per Inch, Many steels builders us a rolled thread instead of die cut and are an odd diameter. Compared to die cut threads.

There is a 6-40 die for 1/8" rod also, 6-40 threads makes it easier to adjust the tuning than 6-32 standard thread.
Hope you have a thread gage and dial caliper to check the threads with.

I got a 6-40 die off the internet that fit a Craftsman die stock, Used 1/8" stainless steel welding rods on an old MSA, I owned.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 3:43 am    

I don't have calipers or thread gages. I got some 1/8" brass rod at Lowes and a 5-40 die,and even after I chamfered the end of the rod with a Dremel, I couldn't even start the thread cutting. I thought of taking one of the rods to ACE to check the thread size.

I didn't think a smaller, 3/32" rod would work, but I just tried a 3/32" rod from my Carter, and the barrel did tighten down tightly and just might work. I have lots of 3/32" stainless rod, tons of new nylon tuners, although only 1-1/8" long and not 1-3/4" like the Dekley tuners, but will still work.

Thanks a lot Bobby for the suggestions.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 9:01 am    

I've used 1/8" stainless rod on the Dekley like Bobby mentioned and threaded with 6-40. I just picked up more rod to add a couple of changes and tried a 6-32 die on it. I put it straight downward in the vise and used actual cutting/threading oil. I chamfered the end a little and started slowly and carefully. I backed off about every 1/4 to 1/2 turn to clean the metal away. No problem really. The 6-40 worked fine but the 6-32 seems like a bigger thread and feels like it would hold better against the nylon. Once I got one or two turns with the die it got a lot easier. The welding supply is about 60 miles away so I bought it on Amazon (free shipping) here >>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HK1W22P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2022 11:21 pm    

The 6-32 is a deeper thread and provides .031 of movement per revolution of nylon nut, The 6-40 thread provides .025 of movement per revolution of the nylon nut, Allowing an easier more precise tuning of raises and lowers.

5-40 is the size thread used on those Emmons odd ball hard to find 7/64" rods.
It is hard get get a 5-40 die started on a 1/8" rod and will leave an off set between the thread and the 1/8" rod. May be hard to fit a nylon tuning nut on.

Been down that road, Making 1/8", 3/32", 7/64" rods for for my MSA's & GFI's and rods for a friend who works on Emmons guitars.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 3:59 am    

Bobby Jones said"
Quote:
It is hard get get a 5-40 die started on a 1/8" rod and will leave an off set between the thread and the 1/8" rod.

I found it impossible. I even used a Dremel to chamfer the end of the rod, almost to a point, and the 5-40 die just wouldn't work. I had the rod in the vise, and with a lot of force, I still couldn't get it to start threading. The only thing I accomplished was bending the brass rod I was using (couldn't find stainless here and wasn't going to put much more effort into finding stainless at a welding shop - this guitar is not worth any more effort or money).

I'm just going to use 3/32" rod, which I already have tons of. It's only 2 rods I have to make.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 8 Aug 2022 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 8:40 pm    

Hi Richard,
I had a 5-40 and tried it on a already-made rod: it fit, hence the suggestion. But looking further, you're right, it would not have been able to start the threading. 6-40 is more likley the correct size. Sorry, I did not mean to mis-lead. Hope you're getting it going, now......Pat
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2022 9:45 pm    

Pat Chong wrote:
Hi Richard,
I had a 5-40 and tried it on a already-made rod: it fit, hence the suggestion. But looking further, you're right, it would not have been able to start the threading. 6-40 is more likley the correct size. Sorry, I did not mean to mis-lead. Hope you're getting it going, now......Pat

I had already come up with the 5-40 die before I posted here. I tried it on a rod from the Dekley and it wouldn't fit. For the 2 rods I need, I am just using 3/32" rod and tuning nuts I already have on hand.