| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1950’s Sho-Buds
Alex Miller

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 2:42 pm    

I saw this on eBay and was just curious if this was an early Sho-Bud from the 50’s, Or just a handmade piece. This got me researching 50’s Sho-Buds and I couldn’t find a whole lot of information. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of pictures or videos of these early Sho-Buds, my question is are they similar to the early Bigsby steels or completely their own entity. Thanks all, and if you have one first off I’m jealous, and second off any information would be appreciated.
Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 6:06 pm    

i’ll go out on a limb and say that’s not a sho bud. the castings for the tuners are not as finely detailed as sho bud guitars are. this appears to be a guitar inspired by sho bud but not made by sho bud. the pedals look ridiculous. homemade guitar in my opinion. pedal bar appears to be wrong as well. those crossmembers look hinky too. i think chris lucker would know for sure. and it might sound amazing or be a complete and utter dog. that’s the part that makes vintage steels fun. 10 string changers and pickups and 8 string tuner castings scream, hey someone made me in their garage.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 8:38 pm    

It is someone's dream of a steel guitar. Using a Sho-Bud guitar as a pattern to make some of the parts.

The pedals look very strange.
The front legs look like pipe flanges was screw attached to the bottom of the guitar. If you look at the picture, There is half moons of the flanges on the right edge of the guitar.

The key heads look like they were cut out of a flat piece of aluminum and then some type of a nut attached to them. The left key head has screws exposed that holds the nut to the key head.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 2:13 pm    

I ran across something similar from a local musician about 10 years ago or so. Guy said it was a ShoBud Permanant, but several things looked different. Although the one I was looking at was closer looking to ShoBud than this one. On mine, it had the same wood body, decals, and fretboads but the keyhead looked weird, changer was different, and pedals too. I decided against getting it. I hope you do the same here!
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 2:59 pm    

There were several home made Sho-Bud look-alikes over the years. The guitar in the photo is not a Sho-Bud. There were only Sho-Bud guitars from 1957 forward.
Alex Miller

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 5:45 am    

Hey thanks everybody! Yeah I avoided it like the plague but thought it was interesting to say the least.
Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 8:42 am    

If you search here on the forum, there are quite a few threads about Sho Buds, including some that are devoted to Sho Bud Permanents (1950's and 60's) and/or Fingertips (1960's). There is some good info archived here. Some cool pics too!
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 10:22 am    

Was there a pedal steel in some post apocalyptic movie? Looks like a prop straight out of Mad Max!
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 10:32 am    

Dylan Murch posted these on facebook a couple days ago. says it's a 1958, D-8

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 1:21 pm    

That '58 Sho~Bud makes me weak in the knees. I'm mostly into dobro and non-pedal these days, but if I could get one of those my world would be complete. Well, you know...until I fell in love with another guitar.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer