| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lowering the 5th to A?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2022 9:29 am    

Russ Wever showed me how to reinstate this whole-step lower while keeping the split between my A pedal and the B-Bb lower.

When lowering the B to A, what bell-crank hole would be best (Emmons 14-hole cranks)?
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2022 8:10 pm    

If it's on a vertical you'll want it in the top hole. For Shorter travel with the knee lever. Pushing up and splitting the A&B pedals is not easy for most.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2022 7:17 am    

It's really challenging for me, Bobby.

First, I wanted the B to A lower on my LKV. Initially, I was thwarted by the split-tune screw being adjusted between my A pedal and half-step lower.

Then Russ Wever explained how it was possible to get around this with an extra raise-rod. This method takes the split-tune screw out of the picture.

I thought I'd get that extra rod until I discovered that one was already there!

Yes: I had three raises on that string - A pedal, C pedal and the extra one that I traced to my RKL (lowers the Bs).

This. I now recall, was thanks to my pal Junior Mercer who had installed the Franklin change on my P4 four years ago. I ultimately didn't get on with that change so changed P4 to lower 6 and 9 a half-tone.

Next, I took the 10th raise off my A pedal to get the 4/5 chord. I loved it, but missed the low C# for single-note playing. I tried reinstating it on LKV but couldn't reach it.

Now I've split-tuned RKR (lowers 10 to an A) with the A pedal 10th raise and voila! I have my 4/5 chord!

I'm just going to have to install a block of some sort on LKV - I love the capability to get every note from C# down to A, but it's useless if I can't physically reach it!
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2022 9:05 am    

Right on. I've wanted this change also.

Timely thread!