| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bell Cranks and Split Screws and Fingertips…OH MY!!!
Abram Denzlinger

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2022 4:08 pm    

Hey all, been lurking for a while. Never played pedal steel, but am interested in getting my first guitar in the near future. So much of the terminology is foreign, and I’ve learned a fair amount by reading your threads here. Question: can you point me to any good resources on the parts and functions of pedal steel guitars?
Zach Turner

Carmel Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2022 4:55 pm    

This link explains a lot of things.

https://www.steelguitar.com/mapIntro.html

A split screw is at the top of the changer that prevents it from lowering the string past a certain point, which allows, in conjunction with the nylon tuning pegs, a string to get a pitch in between that of two pedals/levers. E.g. on e9, string 6 is a G# when open. Pedal B raises it to A. Most guitars also have a lever to lower it to F#. Split tuning(such as facilitated through a split screw) allows for those A, G#, and F# notes to be in tune as well as a G note to be achieved when both the A pedal and that lever are engaged. That said, split tuning can be done without a split screw using another rod, which in many ways is superior to the split screw method.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2022 6:11 am    

The Pedal Steel Guitar book by Winnie Winston and Bill Keith is a good resource . Worth your while to get a copy .
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2022 3:25 pm    

If you are a musician already, Playing another instrument like guitar and planning on playing an E9th Steel. A Mel Bay E9th Chord Chart is a great help. b0b sells them here on the forum, Under the Instruction section. About an 8 dollar investment with great return.

The Mel Bay Chord Chart shows fret, Pedals or knee levers to engage, And strings to pick for the chord. It shows all Major, 7th, Minor, Diminish and Augmented chords.
A road map, For navigating a standard E9th neck.

Good Luck on your Journey, Happy Steelin.