| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Setting up c6 (d-12) neck to look like the E9 neck
Jim Trantham

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 1:31 pm    

I know this is probably a weird post, but I’d like to keep my c6 tuning but use the pedals 4 thru 8 and the RKL lever for changes like the E9 neck. I’d be like to be able to use this scheme for the i iv v shift. Has anybody thought of this ???! I’m pretty new to the c6 and the pedals 4-8 and RKL is very confusing to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim (The newby)
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 3:39 am    

Johnny Cox and b0b have come up with a D6-D13 tuning that does exactly what you are thinking about. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372290
I’m no C6 expert but if you get the Buddy Emmons “Basic C6” course you can see how Buddy relates it to E9. For example: pedal 6 can be thought of as the A+B pedal. It will do pretty much what you are talking about in getting the 1-4 change.

Before you change too much on that neck, consider what you can play with NO pedals at all. Hear what Paul Franklin has to say.
https://youtu.be/zdrZQYlv8oQ
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 4:49 am    

buddy emmons' last tuning was a universal c6 with e9 type changes on pedals 3 and 4. strings 1 and 2 are like 1 and 2 on the e 9th neck.

Last edited by Gary Spaeth on 13 Jul 2022 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 4:52 am    

Pedal 4 is often abandoned on the C6th. It's the least used pedal. You could easily set it up to raise string 2 E to F and string 5 G to A. That would add the 1-4 change to help you with the transition. I wouldn't mess with any of the other pedals. You would regret it in the end.

(Actually, I would raise both C6th E strings to F instead. The A note is already available on string 4.)

The high C to B knee lever is the same as the E9th "E" lever. It lowers the high root note.

Pedal 5 on C6th is the same as the E9th "X" lever (B to Bb, usually on LKV).

Pedal 6 on C6th raises the high E to F, just like the high G to G# of the E9th "B" pedal. But in the middle of the C6th, it lowers the E to Eb instead of raising it. It's still the 1-4 change, but the 4 chord is a 7th. This is part of what makes the C6th very good for blues and traditional jazz.

Pedal 7 of the C6th raises the root tone C to D, just like the "C" pedal of E9th. Combined with pedal 6 on string 2 and 3, it's the same effect as the "B+C" pedals on strings 3 and 4 of the Eth.

Pedal 8 of the C6th is like the "F" lever of E9th, but only on the low strings. It raises the low root a half step.

All of these similarities inspired me to develop a single 10 D6th tuning with E9th capabilities (see the link in my signature below). They also inspired Johnny Cox to develop his 12-string D13th.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 5:10 am    

I'd never seen that Buddy Emmons S-12 C6th before! It demonstrates a simple way to add the E9th 1-4 change to C6th. Here's how that would look on the back neck of a D-10:
Tab:
    p3  p4  (p5-p8 and RKL unchanged)
D
E       +F
C
A
G  ++A
E       +F
C
A
F
C

This assumes that the crossrod for p3 is not a shorty.

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 5:16 am    

a knee lever lowering low a to g would add the low inversion.
Jim Trantham

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2022 7:48 am     C6 / E9

Wow guys!!! Thank you so much and I appreciate the help. This was a real education for me.
I have a S-12 no pedals tuned C6 which I have played for sometime. All your replies will help me setup my D-12 C6 neck to be easier for my old brain to understand.