| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Portable Right Hand Practice Board
Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 9:44 pm    

I've been inspired by Joe Wright's seminar on right hand technique to practice my fundamentals. With my lifestyle right now, seat time is limited but I'd like to get in more practice time where I can fit it in. The non-musical picking patterns that Joe recommends wouldn't necessarily need to played on a pedal steel, or even a full steel guitar. I was thinking, it'd be great to have a pocket-sized set of strings that I could use to practice when I'm out of the house...

This could never be a perfect substitute for practicing the same techniques on an actual pedal steel, but it could still be helpful.

Wondering if anybody has seen one of these before.

Also wondering if anybody has any thoughts on inexpensive ways to make one of these. I'm not sure how I'd could create an appropriate amount string tension without real tuners.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 9:58 pm    

Not necessarily inexpensive, but a 10 string lap steel is a versatile, musical, practical option.
Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 6:04 am    

Like this?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=370650&sid=fe88907fcba83484859277ba53f59420
Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 7:44 am    

That Hudson practice board looks awesome. I was imagining something with a much shorter scale length that could easily fit into a small backpack to be used for practicing right hand only. Although it would be more difficult to pack around, the Hudson practice board is more useful than what I had in mind.

Thanks!
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 3:16 pm    

I imagine one could make such a thing based on Jimmie's practice board design as linked, except make it maybe 6 inches long? I think the trouble will be getting it stable so you can pick in a semi-normal way without hurting your hand. I imagine it would need to be long enough to rest across your knees, but then we're talking about a regular practice board again.

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 9:23 pm    

Don Burrows used to make something like what you're after. It would be easy to replicate with some fairly basic tools. Just a small chunk of hardwood, a couple of rods for the bridge and nut and some harp tuner pegs. The fretboard is obviously fairly meaningless.

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 12:13 pm    

Maybe a relatively small and inexpensive 10-string lyre harp would be an option, if fretboard is not needed.