| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Pro style changer questions
Jameson Koweek

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 1:47 pm    

I recently acquired a Sho-Bud 6160 S-12 guitar, and am in the middle of changing the copedant. I noticed that the second string is missing a ring for the spring to hold on to. Will this effect what changes I can have here? I noticed the fourth string, which had both raises and lowers, is without a spring.

Also, I noticed some of the lower holes are pretty banged out. How big of a problem is this?

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 2:36 pm     Sho ~Bud Changer

Reach out to forum member Ricky Davis.Hes very knowledgeable about Sho ~Bud's. Good luck.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 8:37 pm    

That was a common mod on Buds from the mid-'70s on, after they changed to the 2-piece scissor design. It allows string 2 to drop a whole step. The geometry of the scissor is such that the lower end of the finger (the part that's missing) will hang up on the head of the rivet. You can see the issue in the pic below, the lowering scissor can move much farther without the nub, which is necessary on a smaller gauge string.

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 8:56 pm    

Ian,

Thank you for this information. It had seemed strange to me how clean the finger was, as though it either hadn't broken, or had been since removed and cleaned up. This makes sense now. Also, I didn't say so when the thread was open, but beautiful work on your recent uni-converted Bud.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 9:32 pm    

Thanks Jameson, your 6160 looks like a it's similar vintage to that one I sold recently. Mine now has a happy new home in beautiful Alameda, CA. I still have another early 6160, a '75 (it's in pieces at the moment!).

BTW, the cracked holes in the lowering scissors should not pose a problem unless they get really opened up and cause the nylon nuts to hang up and return inconsistently or hang up on the adjacent finger. That's another semi-common thing on later Buds because the tab on the lowering scissor is so narrow. They can be brazed or silver soldered to fortify them a bit but I wouldn't worry about it unless it's causing a problem. If it does become a problem you can also just swap a finger with bad cracks for one on another string that doesn't have any lowers. Lots of quirks on these old Buds but they're cool, very predictable and easy to fix and maintain, like an old Chevy.

Good luck with yours, how about a pic of the rest of it?

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 5:17 am    

Here it is, and here’s a cool article with another picture about the guy that sold it to me.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/32659/doc-buffingtons-48-fender-pro-amp/amp/

If I remember correctly, it’s serial number is 17306. Anyone out there know anything else about the guitar, or who might have owned it before him?
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 9:21 am    

Nice looking guitar, I love that color. Per the posted ser # list it was built Nov '81. That is a cool story about Doc, I see that he is a forum member, I wonder if he still plays

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 12:53 pm    

He told me it had been a while since he had a "sit down gig" but he still plays at home for sure.