| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning the RKL 6th String Lower
Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 9:43 pm    

Beginner here, with what I hope is a simple question:

I have a 10-string 3 & 5 E9 Emmons set-up, with the RKL lowering 6 to F# and raising 1 to G#. The RKL raises the 1st string perfectly, but on string 6, the lowered F# is very sharp. Turning the hex tuner doesn't seem to have much of an effect. The string is plain, not wound.

What's the best way to approach this? Thank you!
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 11:14 pm    

If you have split screws in the changer housing, be sure the screw is backed out...
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 10:29 am    

Tom, If what Dave posted doesn’t work, check to see if your guitar has a 6th string raise helper spring. If so, it could need to be readjusted to less tension, or simply remove it. I suspect that installing a heavier string created this problem.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 12:11 pm    

Back the nylon nut out until it doesn't contact the finger when pedals or levers are pressed. Loosen the raise on the 6th string too. You may be overtuned ( see post up toward the top of this section). If the finger is being pressed by a nylon nut, the open string tuning is affected and there may not be enough travel left to get the lower (or raise) in tune.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 12:36 pm    

Did you change that string recently? Moving to a different string gauge can result in a changer not having enough travel to accomplish the change.
Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 2:21 pm    

Thanks everyone. I don't have split tuning. I haven't changed string gauge. Both the raise and lower nylon hex nuts have some slack between them and the finger. The raise works fine, and is in tune.

I do have a helper spring on the raise. I may look into adjusting it or trying a lighter gauge string.

Thanks again, all!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 3:20 am    

Try adjusting the lever travel a tiny bit at a time. That should lower it all the way. You could also try moving the pull rod to a different hole in the bellcrank and/or the changer finger. Just make notes on where they were originally.

Also make sure there isn't a broken string ball in the changer.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 8:05 am    

What make/model/year is the guitar? All-pull changer? Pull-release? We can make assumptions but they may not be correct. Is the guitar new to you, or is this a new problem on a guitar you've had for a while? When you say "the raise works fine" are you referring to the B pedal raise on the string 6, or to the string 1 on raise that's on the same knee lever? Same with the raise helper spring, are you referring to string 1 or string 6 (or both)? Different implications for each. Better info leads to better responses, it's always best to provide as much as you can.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 1:32 pm    

Thanks, Ian. It's a Texas Pedal Steel, all-pull. Newish guitar that I bought used a few months ago, and had set up by the builder. I haven't really used the RKL lever while I've been learning the basics, and just noticed the issue while I had it plugged into my tuner.

The B-pedal raise on 6 works fine, and so does the 1st string raise on the RKL. There is a helper spring on both strings 6 and 1.

The builder is located an hour away, and I can reach out to him. I was just hoping the solution was something obvious and simple, like "turn the hex nut further!" Smile
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 5:27 pm    

Temporarily remove the 6th string helper spring, so you know that's not causing an issue. (And unless you're pulling 4 or more strings with the same pedal or lever, helper springs should not be required!)

Then check to see if the 6th string raise finger is moving when you're activating the 6th string lower. If it does, that means the lower return spring is too tight, and you'll have to loosen the adjustment screw (if it has one), or get a lighter spring.
Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 5:42 pm    

Thank you, Donny!