| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Blockdock low end boom
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 1:59 pm    

Does anyone playing six string into the Quilter Toneblock 202 in a Blockdock 12" cabinet find that the lowest strings are boomy? Especially noticeable on string 6 from open to the fifth fret, but crops up on some other frequencies as well. I've tried a wide, diverse range of speakers (from a few neos to an EV 12L and a few in between), and they all do the same thing. Happens at bedroom volumes or on a loud stage. The same thing is there on the pedal steel, but to a much lesser degree.

I love the sound and the versatility of the 202, including its portability as a stand alone amp. But I'd really like to make the blockdock/202 combo work for me. Thinking of cutting a piece of plywood to fit below the piece that cradles the 202, to make it a pseudo closed-back cabinet. I really don't understand cabinet design enough to know if that would help, though.

Anyone else experience this with this cabinet? Any ideas on what might improve it?

Thanks.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 2:20 am    

I haven't tried mine with a 6 string. But with C6th the low strings, on the original design Blockdock 12 cabinet, the low end is a little more pronounced with the TT12 speaker. They redesigned the back of the speaker cabinet to accomodate different (deeper) speakers and with the new design some low is missing.

The new design was in late 2020 and it involved cutting out some of the amp mounting plate and relocating the speaker jack.

My thought, the original model with full amp mounting plate sort of acted like pseudo porting, where the new design was closer to an open back.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 2:37 am    

Interesting, Jack. I wonder whether my idea of extending the mounting plate amounts to recreating that earlier design that had better bass response.