| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about Allen screws on Telonic pickup
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 3:32 pm    

I just installed a Telonics 12 string pickup with the Allen screws. The pickup comes with two rows of Allen screws raised about 1/8 inch. Any difference in tone (not volume) in lowering the Allen screws even with the top of the pickup?

I thought would ask before I get the Allen wrench and lower 24 screws.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 4:14 pm    

That depends on how far they are from the strings. Generally, if they're not close to the strings, it will make very little tonal difference if you lower them. Those adjustment screws are mainly for evening out the volume on strings that are either too loud, or not loud enough.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 6:50 pm    

It really defeats the purpose of them, Lenny. The screws are there to balance the tone and volume of individual strings. Once set up, they never need to be readjusted, and the guitar will sound much better. I have Telonics pickups on both of my pedal steels, and I love the way they balance both volume and tone.

Download the Telonics pickup manual here. If you have trouble with the procedure, contact Dave Beaty here on the forum.

Notice how I increased the brightness of the wound strings, and decreased the "eek factor" of the high strings. The screws adjust both volume and tone.

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 1:58 am    

Thanks b0b. This is exactly what I was looking for.I want to decrease the brightness a bit on the first four strings and increase the brightness a tad on the lower strings. I now see how this can be achieved by balancing off the front and rear Allen screws on each string.

I played a gig yesterday and the only way you can become aware of any issues is to play in a band in a live situation. The pickup sounded good but once I installed it I left all the Allen screws as they came in the pickup. Time to tweak.

Thanks,
Lenny

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 6:19 am    

For each string, as you raise one screw half a turn, lower the other half a turn, and vice versa. Listen carefully and play test after each change. It takes an hour or two to get it right, but it's well worth the effort.

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 2:56 am    

bob, I spent several hours adjusting the pick following your advice. I found that tweaking the Allen screws 3 strings at a time starting from the middle helped to get a balance. Had to take a break every 20 minutes because your ears plays tricks on you. Also, a T-handle Allen wrench is easier to work with than a standard right angle Allen wrench.

I'm sure I'll have keep tweaking a bit when I get in a live situation but I am pretty close to good balance. I really like this pickup. Thanks for the great advice.

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 8:55 am    

Well worth the time to get it adjusted. Best pickup ever developed for the pedal steel, hands down. The only problem is that they are so good you'll want them on every guitar.