| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage One Pedal Steel humming while plugged direct into amp
Joel Brown

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 3:46 pm    

I bought a Stage One in 2019. It's a beautiful textured black guitar and I've enjoyed playing & learning on it. I had my first ever live gig on this thing last month and it was a major confidence booster, I'm excited to keep gigging!

Lately, I've noticed a bad hum coming through my signal chain. I plugged the steel directly into my Quilter amp (bypassing volume & fx chain) and the hum was much worse, compared to the signal through volume pedal, tuner, and fx. Plugging my tele direct into the amp there's almost no noise at all (yay Quilter!)

If I touch one of the metal jacks on the amp, or the Stage One output jack, the hum goes away completely. Maybe I just need a third arm that can keep a finger on the jack while I play? Laughing

Any ideas? Hoping it's an easy fix like swapping out the Stage One jack...
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 7:06 pm    

First, try different cables, you may just have a bad one. Then, try another outlet for the amp (in another room) as the outlet you're using may have an open ground. Third, make sure your changer is grounded (connected with a wire) to the end plate of the guitar.

Last thing it might be is the jack not making good contact with the endplate of the guitar. Loosen the jack, rotate it a little, and retighten it.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 6:07 am    

Joel..keep in mind that the pickup on your 'Stage One' is wound much heavier (around 17.5K versus 6 or 7 K) than on the Telecaster so the signal going into the amp is much hotter, (especially when bypassing the VP and effects and feeding the signal directly into the amp). I agree with Donny, his advice appears very sound. It may just be a simple grounding problem. By touching the jacks on the amp or guitar you are essentially becoming the ground which results in the hum cancelling.
Joel Brown

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 9:35 am    

Thank you both! I tried loosing the jack & tightening it back up, and it completely fixed the issue.