| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you answer, “Is pedal steel hard to learn to play?”
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 8:08 am    

We’ve all been asked. A well-meaning person asks you if pedal steel is “hard to learn or play.” They’re genuinely curious and deserve a straight answer. Maybe they’re toying with the idea of learning.

For a long time I struggled with an answer that was both honest and wouldn’t kill any interest they might have. So, trying not to give a long-winded answer, I just look them in the eye and say, “Yes, it is. It takes time. But the results are worth it.”

Just curious. What do you say when asked?
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 8:21 am    

If you have a sound knowledge of theory and good all-round musicianship, then it's hard.
What it's like otherwise I shudder to think.
Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 8:29 am    

I've been asking myself the same question. To answer others that asK, I simply say "YES"

I don't beleive the hardest part is music theory, it's method or touch. Combining volume pedal with knee levers and push pedals along with the proper grips to make it sound right is the hardest part of all (for me).

I do offer the statement that if you have time on your hands, it is a great hobby but if you wasnt to gig out it's a long learning curve. Have fun I do.

Sam
Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 8:30 am    

every instrument is hard to learn if taken serious. I think the Pedal Steel is kinda hard in the beginning with the volume pedal, the steel, the ten strings and all the levers. on the other hand it can be easier than six string guitar sometimes because there`s a lot of chord changes that are kind of already given, a little bit like on an autoharp. Anyhow, there`s a long way to go if you want to come close to the pros, that play on our records.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 9:19 am    

It's incredibly easy to get great sounds, and incredibly difficult to master
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 9:23 am    

What Dave said... It's one of the hardest instruments to play, but you can make cool sounds and have fun starting on Day 1. Pedal steel should be viewed as a journey.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 9:27 am    

Honest answer: Yup!

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 11 Apr 2022 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 9:28 am    

“Is pedal steel hard to learn to play?”,, Not really..

“Is pedal steel hard to learn to play WELL?” Yes, very..

I am not all that good a musician in all honesty.. Good natural time, fair hands and head, good soul and "feeling" and NO concept of theory at all.. Very basic I-IV-V kind of guy...yet pedal steel came easy to me.

After 2 -3 months I was playing in good local country rock bands every weekend. In tune and in time. I could play many of the licks on records...

However , its 44 years later and i am basically the same player I was then... hence my opinion. I picked it right up, no problem.. I sound like a pedal steel player...

However, when I hear the really good, talented, professional or semi pro players out there that play very well, I realize that I myself really don't play it all that well... I just play it.. happens to a lot of us.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 11:20 am    

I say, "If you have the capability and desire to learn a musical instrument, It really isn't any harder to learn than any other instrument. If you don't have the talent or ambition to spend the time to really learn, you won't be able to play any musical instruments". I find piano/keyboards harder for me than the PSG ever was.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 12:35 pm    

I say it’s a little tricky at first but no harder than any other instrument really. In a way it’s easier because the standard role of the steel isn’t very difficult. I think we steel players suffer under the illusion that we are doing some impossible feat of genius by merely being semi functional in a bar band. Playing music well is several lifetimes work for anybody on any instrument.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 1:12 pm    

Assuming you have an idea of what it means to make music, and even better, that you understand how to play guitar, then Dave Grafe sums it up for me.
Two days ago I had this conversation. "Man, that must be a beast to play!" a guitarist said to me during a break.
I told him that in 10 minutes I could have him playing some things that sound fantastic that he could add to any I-IV-V song (well, ok....with some practice.)

This is basically what the Winnie Winston book did for me -- I unpacked and set up my first steel and made some insanely cool sounds almost right out of the box because I had studied on the tuning, a couple of basic string groups and the A&B pedals. Could I claim to 'play the instrument'? Not really but I could definitely make it sound pretty.
Try that with violin. Now THAT is a hard instrument to play and nothing but YEARS of work will get you to not sound awful.
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2022 3:49 pm    

I usually tell people that once you learn the basic technique, you can play along with many songs. But learning and using all of its possibilities is very difficult.

I was thinking about this the other day after reading that someone thought the pedal steel was the hardest instrument in the world to play. I think it's much more difficult to develop basic capabilities on violin or theremin.

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 5:36 am    

I tell people designing and building them from scratch is easier than playing them!
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 5:54 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
“Is pedal steel hard to learn to play?”,, Not really..

“Is pedal steel hard to learn to play WELL?” Yes, very..

I am not all that good a musician in all honesty.. Good natural time, fair hands and head, good soul and "feeling" and NO concept of theory at all.. Very basic I-IV-V kind of guy...yet pedal steel came easy to me.

After 2 -3 months I was playing in good local country rock bands every weekend. In tune and in time. I could play many of the licks on records...

However , its 44 years later and i am basically the same player I was then... hence my opinion. I picked it right up, no problem.. I sound like a pedal steel player...

However, when I hear the really good, talented, professional or semi pro players out there that play very well, I realize that I myself really don't play it all that well... I just play it.. happens to a lot of us.. bob

+1
Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 6:34 am    

Good question, I’m five years in on a Justice Pro Lite, decades in on banjo, dobro and guitar, joined a modern country band two years ago so an hour of practice per day, weekly rehearsal’s, 30 gigs per year and I now consider myself an intermediate. 30 years playing dobro really helped and I find pedal steel to be much more intuitive than guitar and I’ve played guitar for 50 plus years. It helps to understand music theory plus I have a good ear so I can pick up tunes fairly quickly and try to avoid tab. Currently playing in three bands including a Linda Ronstadt tribute band. Short answer, focused daily practice and seat time.
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 8:11 am    

Well, I guess perspective is everything.

Playing 'Happy Birthday' on pedal steel would be a lot easier
than on Didgeridoo... Wink
Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 9:45 am     Interesting topic...

I've been asked this question as well.

My answer is pretty direct - 'It's easy to play some stuff - but very hard to become even a journeyman player.'

I answer this way because I'm uncomfortable miss-leading someone into a $1000 - $3500 'experiment' - not including
$$ pedals, amps, seats, bars, instructors, etc.

I've had people come to my music room to sit behind a pedal steel just to try a few 'sounds'. Never had anyone so far take the next steps of buying one.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 2:03 pm    

Quote:
I find pedal steel to be much more intuitive than guitar and I’ve played guitar for 50 plus years.

From my perspective, 5 years in after playing guitar for 50 years, the technique is not intuitive at all, and I would never suggest it is, especially to a person interested in giving pedal steel a shot. In fact, the only thing I would call “intuitive” about pedal steel is the fretboard layout, which, like guitar, means exactly what it looks like it means.
Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 4:21 pm    

It's like playing chess & a Rubik's cube at the same time!
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 4:48 pm    

Premises :

1. We're talking about becoming a 'middling' pedal steel player - the caveat already stated about 'mastering' is apropos;

2. Note that almost all the people that ask me this question are fairly serious guitar players that already have pretty good guitar technique.

So I generally answer the "Is it hard?" question with "Yes and No." No, not particularly, if you're really committed to doing it and putting in the effort, have an open mind, and are not easily discouraged. Yes, if you expect that it's just a matter of a simple transfer of obvious guitar techniques that you already know, and are "already 9/10 of the way there".

I've known some pretty damned good guitar players who got very discouraged pretty quickly. They generally have told me they don't have the mind for it. I don't really get it - most of these guys are decent lap steel players now, and as far as I'm concerned, the pedals open up additional possibilities, and actually make a lot of things easier.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 8:02 pm     Re: Interesting topic...

Michael Lester wrote:
I've been asked this question as well.

My answer is pretty direct - 'It's easy to play some stuff - but very hard to become even a journeyman player.'

I answer this way because I'm uncomfortable miss-leading someone into a $1000 - $3500 'experiment' - not including
$$ pedals, amps, seats, bars, instructors, etc.

I've had people come to my music room to sit behind a pedal steel just to try a few 'sounds'. Never had anyone so far take the next steps of buying one.

Your conversion process is wrong.

Tell them a steel needs treated like a mail-order bride with no fooling around before marriage - and the commitment is demonstrated by the magnitude of investment.

And then you'll see them step up and commit.

Devil

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 13 Apr 2022 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 9:38 pm    

I like Bob Carlucci's answer. For some it's quite hard, for others not so much. We are all wired differently. For me, It was first lap steel, then Fender console, then one pedal, then two pedals, then three (you see where I'm going). It was baby steps, but each one was fairly easy. I can see how it would be difficult for someone to take on a fully equipped modern pedal steel. Yet, I know several young players that have done it and have become proficient players in just a few years. In addition, for a Youngster desiring to play, Billy Knowles wisely points out a big obstacle in saying,"Daddy, I want to learn to play the guitar." (Dad) "How much does one cost?" "I can get a playable one for less than 200.00". OR "Daddy, I want to learn to play the pedal steel" "How much does one cost?" "I can get a playable one for around 1400.00" "Are you out of your freaking mind???"

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 8:37 pm    

I'm a new player. I've been playing about a month and I'm starting to get comfortable playing chords in multiple positions and doing some melodic licks. I have played guitar, banjo, and ukulele for about 25 years.

It seems to me that answering the question of whether this instrument is hard is really dependent on the asker's pre-existing musical ability. A lot of people will play guitar for 30 years and never get comfortable with finger picking. A lot of people will play guitar for 30 years and not be able to tell you what a 2 chord is.

At any given time on this instrument as a beginner, my right hand is doing things that would be considered intermediate on a banjo. My left hand is doing things that would be intermediate on slide guitar. Also my feet are doing things that change the instrument entirely (while my knees are doing other stuff). And all the while my brain is working way harder than it would on any other instrument.

If you don't have the background knowledge and ability from another instrument it seems to me that this instrument would be impossible.
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 8:37 am    

It's easy....if you are Buddy Emmons or Paul Franklin....

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 3:19 pm    

You can easily learn some Latin phrases, but mastering Latin would take a very long time -- same thing with pedal steel.

One really hard thing about it is that you cannot watch a pedal steeler and learn much because he is doing four different things simultaneously and his copedant is different from yours!