| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Msa identification help
Arthur Doyle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 3:41 am    

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time figuring out what model this guitar is. The guy selling it doesn't have a very good camera and doesn't use computers well. Asking price is 800.00 which for an sd10 msa seems like a fantastic price. But I just want to know if it's a student model or not. I'm waiting to hear back about how many levers it has. There is no model name.

Arthur Doyle

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 4:47 am    

Well he says it has 4 levers and that it's a classic. But wouldn't it be branded as a classic?
Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 8:15 am    

That is a ‘70’s MSA changer mounted on something else. It could be a MSA body from the pre Micro days, but it’s hard to tell. Sort of a Frankenstein.. I advise caution.
Just my two cents…
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 8:35 am    

I agree with and defer to Mitchell.

There's not enough visual to determine the model or type of guitar.

Personally, without at least a picture of the mechanics underneath along with at least shots of the front and rear aprons, I would pass.

I understand you are eager just try to be patient and get more info.

It might be a tremendous bargain or just a complete mess. There's no way to tell without a better description and pics.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 11:46 am    

I agree with Mitchell, that's an MSA changer, but I don't think those are MSA endplates. It does have a stepped keyhead, what looks to be the heavy aluminum MSA pedalboard, and it is an all-pull guitar, so I would say with fair certainty it is not a student model.

Worth the money, but only if it's all there. (We can tell you more with a pic of the underside.)
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 6:54 pm    

I own a MSA D10 Classic and played a MSA S10 Classic for about 20 years.
The 2 things that catch my eye very quick, It only has a 10 key head with 10 keys. Both my Classic were 10 string but had 12 string key heads. With the 2 positions near the nut roller (1 and 12 was not drilled). This guitars key head looks like it is cast. Both my guitars had machined key bars that was smooth on the inside and stepped on the outside like a pair of stair jacks. And Chromed.

The 2 MSA classics I had, The return springs had to be cut and new end bent to shorten or pulled and stretched with a screwdriver to lengthen. That changer shows adjustment screws.

The word Classic was script written and either a cast plaque, Or silk screened on right front apron.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 3:26 pm    

While it's true that the MSA Classic guitars had the same keyhead (keyblocks, actually, since they were 3-piece assemblies machined from bar stock) on both the 10 and 12 string guitars, that wasn't common on all MSA models. The Semi-Classic, Sidekick, Pro Am, and the Classic SS guitars were all available only as 10 string models, and they all had (smaller) 10 string keyheads. I think the only MSA guitars that had cast keyheads would either have to be made before 1971, or after 2000.

That keyhead looks cast, and kinda reminds me of an older Mullen or Marlen.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 4:41 pm    

Also the neck does not fit the pickup housing. Looks more like a S~B neck with an MSA fretboard.