| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar on Jeopardy
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 6:20 pm    

S G was the answer to a Jeopardy! question tonight…”as played by Jimmy Day and Greg Leisz.” Sa-lute!

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 7:35 pm    

My wife and I looked at each other in amazement when that one popped up!

Smile
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 3:17 am    

Did anyone get it right?

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 4:23 am    

My man Greg!
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 4:33 am    

Second person got it right. The first person said “ Steel Drums” lol.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 2:16 pm    

Saw that. Was quite surprised. At least some one knew the answer.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 5:32 pm    

I seen it and surprised someone knew the answer. There's hope in the world.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2022 4:25 am    

It gave us a bit of a start, too!

Then I began to wonder how the show's writers came up with those names; both accomplished and high-level players, yet not the names that I'd have thought would spring first to the mind of a layman.

Perhaps a staff writer is a secret fan and has waited for years to slip a 'steel guitar' reference into the show.
Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2022 4:36 am    

I debated whether it was correct or not. The example was def a pedal steel guitar, the clue mentioned using hands and feet to play, the players cited are def more known as pedal steel guitarists. So, wouldn't answering just steel guitar be more wrong than right?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2022 8:27 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
It gave us a bit of a start, too!

Then I began to wonder how the show's writers came up with those names; both accomplished and high-level players, yet not the names that I'd have thought would spring first to the mind of a layman.

Would ANY name have sprung at all, not just first, to the mind of a layman? At least the sound of the instrument was recognized by the person who answered correctly (enough), but names? Oh Well
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 3:01 am    

You're quite right, Brint.

I spoke without thought; there's no 'Eric Clapton' equivalent in the world of steel guitar - not in the public's consciousness, anyway.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 6:38 am    

Quote:
...wouldn't answering just steel guitar be more wrong than right?

Not for the average person. I’d say “steel guitar” would cover it all, pedals, lap, even acoustic. When people ask me what I play, I say ”steel guitar”. Adding the word “pedal” complicates things and then I have to explain to the person what a pedal steel guitar is and how it works. Too many years doing that!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 7:07 am    

I've found that 'Hawaiian guitar' conveys more to the general population than 'steel guitar. Even then, there are still blank stares sometimes.

Smile
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 10:24 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
You're quite right, Brint.

I spoke without thought; there's no 'Eric Clapton' equivalent in the world of steel guitar - not in the public's consciousness, anyway.

I agree also. I don't know of a steel player, pedal or otherwise, that would be recognized by the general public. Sad, but that's just how it is. I had some friends that went to see a George Jones concert several years ago and I asked if they remembered what the steel player's name was, the lady told me she didn't know if they even had a steel player or not. Of course they did and I confirmed later that it was Tom Killen. I afraid it's going to get worse. I'm afraid the country acts will go to singing to tracks like many of the gospel groups have done. I realized the convenience of it, but I don't have any interest in seeing them.

RC
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 11:52 am    

I think some steel guitarists of yesteryear may have been recognized by the general public... Alvino Rey, Santo Farina, and (believe it or not) Barbara Mandrell when she had her weekly show on CBS. But in general, most steel guitarists are just sidemen, unfortunately. As someone once said...it's hard to set the world on fire when your seated and looking down at your instrument! Surprised
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 1:24 pm    

really cool to see Jimmy Day mentioned on national television in 2022. I imagine Leisz is a much more recognizable name these days but still far from a household word

kind of ironic that the most widely known steelers got that way due to their work outside of country music

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 2:19 pm    

scott murray wrote:
kind of ironic that the most widely known steelers got that way due to their work outside of country music

I was thinking the same thing, Scott. Robert Randolph would be another example of that. BTW he just backed up Reba on the Oscars broadcast the other night and they announced him as one of the band members.