| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HX Stomp tips, tricks and settings?
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2022 8:37 am    

So, after researching the various modelers on the market and having taken into account price, functionality, versatility and relative ease of use I settled on the Line 6 HX Stomp XL.

My thought process was twofold, I already have a great rack system that I love but I’d equally love to have a lighter, more compact rig with modeling capabilities. I also wanted something that would double as an effects processor for my NV400 and SF Twin Reverb head. As Larry Behm has put it many times in various conversations, you want to have options. As a stand alone rig to use with a power amp, I’m probably going to gravitate towards using the preamp options as opposed to the amp/speaker cab choices, unless there’s a reason I shouldn’t.

I haven’t started to set it up yet, so I’m interested to know what settings you guys who have these units are using and any tips, tricks etc. Post here on the thread, pm or email me, whatever works. If it’s easier to have a phone conversation I’m good with that also.

Thanks in advance,

Skeeter
Chris Willingham

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 9:46 am    

I don't have an HX Stomp on my steel board, but my board that does everything else (fiddle, mandolin, dobro, banjo) is centered around it. It's really incredible and so versatile for the size it is. The editor (HX Edit) is super easy to work in, especially in comparison after I watched my guitar player buddy try to use the editor on his Kemper. And Line6 continually does new firmware updates with new effects, new amps, etc. Free stuff after the sale!? Who does that?

The Global EQ seems to be often overlooked on HX Stomps. You can do a lot of eq sculpting without using up a dsp block. There are tons of Youtube tutorial videos on the Stomp and free presets galore. I mainly use it for eq, delays and reverbs. The happiest I've been with reverb was stacking 2 or 3 together, all with fairly low mixes, with varied predelays times.

The Stomp plays very nicely with midi, too. Mine is controlled by a Morningstar MC6 and it's super easy to move around in live. Did different pages for each instrument, never had any trouble with it.

Spend some time in the editor at the steel moving settings around and I bet it'll come to you really easily. Good luck! It's a great pedal.

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2022 6:09 pm    

I’m considering one so I’m watching this with optimism

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 8:00 am    

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your post, I had some time to fool with it a bit and I think it’ll be great once I remember what buttons to what lol. I think the best thing will be to get it hooked up to the computer but haven’t had the chance to do that yet.

Marty, I’ll definitely keep you posted. Hoping other HX users will chime in eventually.

Skeeter
Nathan Guilford

Oklahoma City
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2022 10:20 am    

I've purchased the HX Stomp little brother product. The Pod Go Wireless model should come in this week.

I'm hoping that it'll work for me. The reason I went with the pod go instead was it offers two inputs. (One wired and one wireless) Perfect for what I do live. I'll watch this thread as well and chime in if I have problems/solutions, ok?
Nathan Guilford

Oklahoma City
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2022 6:22 pm     amp model

So far - the cleanest sounding amp model that I've found on my unit is the "Archetype - clean" setting. Anyone else find anything different?

Also - I really like having the "LA Studio Comp" out in front of the effects chain. Very subtle useful compression.
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2022 3:20 pm    

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. While I’ve really only fooled with it over the course of one weekend, I’m pretty impressed so far. What I seem to have gravitated towards at this point is the Black Face Twin preamp. Seems to react just like my 74 SF head as far as EQ’s and while I don’t think I’ve grazed the surface yet I’ve put together a couple of patches with a vintage delay and plate reverb on the back end and a phase shifter in front of the preamp that sound REALLY good. Of course the proof is on the bandstand but I’m not quite that brave yet. I will say that right now it sounds VERY close to my twin but I’ve got to spend more time A/B’ing them before I can say the verdict is in. I also like being able to play the same patch effects only through the front end of my Twin by just turning the modeled preamp off. This could become a very versatile arrow in the quiver.
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 6:06 pm    

Bumping this, hoping there will be some input on delay & reverb settings.

Thanks!
Kevin Cartwright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2022 8:30 am    

Not much to add I’m afraid, however, I have a Stomp and found a guy called John Nathan Cody on YouTube, an English guitarist who builds some excellent guitar tones. He has some clean amp patches which I will get around to trying on my PSG. The unit seems to have huge potential and I use it for my primary instrument (bass). I’m fortunate enough to have a 202 and a 1x12” Telonics speaker in a little tweed cab, which I’ll use as a monitor. I’m following this thread and hoping for input like you!