Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 8:08 am    

Christopher Woitach wrote:
Stefan

Try the book I suggested earlier.

Seriously

Very specific, step by step, great examples

Everything you are frustrated about is addressed

Seriously

Trying the book you suggested. Woah slow going. This seems to be what I was getting at but may be overly theorised. Let me explain. I'm only on Chapter 2 and I am starting to understand however it again asks the question.

1st approach
Does a soloist actually know and think of every chord of every song while soloing?
This is what is given as an approach from the outset of the book. Not sure if this will continue this way in later chapters.

2nd Approach
Does the soloist think about the changing keys? And merely change based upon key but use common connected bebop lines per key vs per chord
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 8:12 am    

He explains a few ideas and pitfalls in the intro so I think my questions will be answered.

Anyone interested in joining me on the journey and working through the book?

Ricky Newman

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2022 1:09 pm    

It's so good!!!
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 5:39 am    

I'm more interested in this for regular guitar, but I doubt it has any tablature. It is far beyond my skill level at the moment. How many people are successfully playing Bebop on lap steel? I would love to hear more!
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 7:27 am     Re: Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony - Bert Ligon

Stefan Robertson wrote:

Does a soloist actually know and think of every chord of every song while soloing?

Does the soloist think about the changing keys? And merely change based upon key but use common connected bebop lines per key vs per chord

Yes, the soloist knows the chord progression. Not sure “thinking” about the chords is the right word. More like anticipating and reacting to the changes, creating tensions and resolutions along the way. Trying to improvise jazz without knowing and understanding the basic harmonic movement of the song and relying only on scale runs and some fancy technique is like hitting the freeway on a scooter.

Yes, the soloist knows the key changes. The modulation is anticipated, and note choices may reflect that anticipation.

Looks like a good book. If Christopher suggested it, take his word for it.
Jim Kaznosky

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 7:46 am    

Tim Toberer wrote:
I'm more interested in this for regular guitar, but I doubt it has any tablature. It is far beyond my skill level at the moment. How many people are successfully playing Bebop on lap steel? I would love to hear more!

There are no tabs but working out the three basic outlines all over any instrument is a very valuable. They aren't very difficult to do. Even if you learned them in one or two positions, you could see how they work, get some basic voice leading, and have a good base.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 8:56 am    

I have my own way of thinking about harmony and changes and how it relates to playing lines over it, but so do most other players. It's kind of what differentiates everyone. I've been around many great players all my life, all with different ways of looking at it. Some of the heaviest musicians I know, and I mean world class, never even think of scales and how they relate to harmony. I can't wrap my head around that yet, but more and more it's starting to make sense to me.

I will always advocate for learning the 12 bar blues form in at least a dozen different variations or as many as you can find. I believe that's where jazz was born and where all of the great harmonic ideas were tried out first. You can play Giant Steps changes on the blues if you want.

The changes to a tune are like a sketch map to me that I am always looking to refine. Sometimes there are scant changes, which gives an opportunity to assert your harmonic prowess and kind of reinvent the tune by adding move movement or changing direction, as long as you end up in the same place.
Peter Leitch is a great guitarist who I studied with and he introduced me to the idea of how to fill out a measure or two of a static chord with harmonic movement.

Sometimes tunes have a ton of changes, which can be a great opportunity to condense the harmony into more easily digested bites.

I will say that it has taken me a long time to get where I am, which is really nowhere, but one should expect to devote a lifetime to this study and practice because it keeps evolving, in other musicians and in your own approach. It's never a bad idea to start from the beginning and work up to it. Again, I would just say focus on the blues and see how many places you can identify someone playing a blues form in jazz--in fact, assume that what you are listening to is a variation on the blues until you are proven wrong (except for standard tunes). There are countless versions of the blues and I Got Rhythm, the two most important IMO.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 9:22 am    

Quote:
You can play Giant Steps changes on the blues if you want.

How do you mean that, Mike?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 9:34 am    

You can play a Coltrane cycle over the I chord in bars 1-4. So, for Bb blues you'd play something like /Bb Db7/Gb A7/D F7/F-7 Bb7/.

I used this in West Coast Blues on a few choruses of the solos. You can hear it here (check out Chris Crocco). https://mikeneer.bandcamp.com/track/west-coast-blues-feat-chris-crocco
Ricky Newman

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 9:37 am    

I found some tab I sketched out for the first outline a long time ago. I liked it, but I don’t think it took me very far as a lap steel instruction book. In the years since, I’ve enjoyed this book for listening and general jazz learning, mostly with a keyboard. It’s a very detailed exploration of voice leading in jazz, organized around three main outlines played over a 2-5-1 cadence with lots of great examples. It’s one really smart guy’s way of understanding and explaining jazz.

I’d love to be part of a study group, and can certainly tab some bits out for folks who are interested. That said, I don’t think it’s really the right approach to the book. Being able to play the lines as written is secondary to understanding why they appear so frequently and how they relate to each other. Mike, for example, does much more interesting things in the bebop vernacular than playing single note Charlie parker lines.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 9:42 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
You can play a Coltrane cycle over the I chord in bars 1-4. So, for Bb blues you'd play something like /Bb Db7/Gb A7/D F7/F-7 Bb7/.

I used this in West Coast Blues on a few choruses of the solos. You can hear it here (check out Chris Crocco). https://mikeneer.bandcamp.com/track/west-coast-blues-feat-chris-crocco

You’re a dangerous man, Mr. Neer.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 10:34 am    

Quote:
There are no tabs but working out the three basic outlines all over any instrument is a very valuable.

What are the 3 basic outlines?

Not to hijak this thread for my own drama, but I'm hesitant to get any more books. I have a stack of them, all highly recommended, I just never get that far. The basic Mel Bay Jazz Guitar Method seems about as good as any. A couple years ago I got all 3 Ted Green books on advanced harmony, Chord Chemistry. Amazing books! I just can't seem to learn from them. Nothing sticks. I did just finish up my own chord study on standard guitar (that I came up with myself) filling 6 pages of chord charts in one key, moving through all the drop 2 and drop 3 inversions for all basic chord forms. Changing only 1 note at a time. This feels like progress, I just have to keep it up. The amount of information is staggering.

As for scales and linear harmony, I feel like I'm not there yet. May never be. There is a video of Joe Pass explaining his approach on YouTube that makes sense to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5wOdikpRu8 It really gets good about 30 min in. Bebop blues and thinking in terms of lines instead of scales. Building lines off 1 note using different chords. I relate it somewhat to chess, a beginner can see a few moves ahead. Thats where I've been stuck for 20 years (in chess and music) happily playing rock, folk and blues. Advanced players see the whole board and many moves ahead and have multiple approaches from all different angles depending on how the game develops. Explaining what they do may be impossible. Listening to Bud Powell is like listening to a god.....
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 2:05 am    

Thanks Mike, Tim and all who chipped in.

What's misleading and frustrating is that the people who say lines (guitarists especially) and its not about scales all know and can play scales up and down in their sleep.

Not sure why there is a communication breakdown in the jazz world.

All roads seem to lead to confusion

But here is what I've discovered thus far in the jazz study journey.

Scales are essential - but that's not jazz
arpeggios are essential - but that's not jazz
Then players state - forget them and imitate lines of the masters
Then Educators study them and each come up with their own system of explaining the lines they learned/heard and why this player uses them
Then we buy their book/advice cause they can play it or explain it
We then play it and then think - this line can't outline the changes for this song
Then we noodle around a bit - come up with our own lines that are within our technical comfort zone
We develop our own sound out of limitation

So is jazz line after line and each line is a scale? If so when not just learn these.

Is that jazz? My head is spinning?

Surely the process of learning scales that outline II-V-I's cannot be that secretive and confusing. And Bert Ligon believes that he has codified it. So It's worth a shot for me as my head is spinning from all the other advice flying around.

I simply want a book that says
Major II-V-I - scales - type 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...etc
Minor II-V-I scales type 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ..etc

Over 2 octaves lowest note to highest then string skip once you know the scales. Then I don't mind jumping around and string skipping intervals creatively but Gee who would've thought that something so basic should be so confusing.

Confused

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 3:53 am    

I have noticed that guitarists who can name the chords they are playing seem not to know what notes are in them.

So if I say "can you leave out the B?" I get a blank look. True, guitarists think vertically because they can only play the notes their fingers can reach, and they can seldom maintain horizontal lines like on the piano, where all the notes are laid out there and you can actually see the harmony.

All this is in the nature of the instrument and I don't regard it as a problem to be solved. I'm not sure that any amount of theory can enable what is not possible.

Now disagree! Smile
Jim Kaznosky

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 5:42 am    

I've struggled with improv as much as the next person. Let's start by agreeing that there is no secret sauce to it all. It is hard work.

What I believe Mr. Lignon has done is exactly what Stefan stated: discovered that there are some common movements happening in ii-Vs which can be exploited. Then he shows his proof, showing dozens of players who manipulate these lines with various devices to get to a point. I hope it is very clear that I'm not saying that it is not successful. It's a book that offers a lot of things to learn that offer a lot more than navigating this all important change. The first few steps of Chapter 9 are what I believe is the key to the book - know where to see these basic building blocks all over your instrument and know them cold. The benefit of this is greater than one might think. I believe it helps one "see" the possibilities a little better. Most method books don't have a prescribed way to get it down. This one does and it is a good method.

My "proof" that I can offer for analysis is that I've gone through dozens of methods. I've tried things I've learned on the bandstand with mixed results. I realized that the only way these methods work is if I stopped and really learned that piece of information being offered me. My personal path led me to Barry Harris, which really resonated with me. It isn't for everyone, but it worked for me in the sense that the source I was using stressed STOPPING and learning the heck out of a concept before I moved on. This was frustrating as I was playing scales, chords, and arpeggios in all the variations that were prescribed in the method my source instructed. The beautiful thing was that they stressed to find ways to use the simple things like I described to create pretty melodies. When I got to some of the slightly more complex things in his teaching for melodic lines, I felt the ground work that I did paid off and I could "see" and "hear" a bit better. I'm not saying I perfected it, but the journey forced me to do the things I avoided doing and in that journey, I found pretty things in the things I was studying that did not sound like running a scale, chord, or arpeggio. And the process was engaging enough to me to want to find a way to expand this to lap.

That being said, jazz is broader than lines and I feel that it is deeply personal. It has a lot to do with creating melody (or what I like to think of as alternate melodies) and listening.

My overall take is that learning scales and arpeggios are part of it. Imitating the lines of those before us is part of it. Using your prior ways of learning to give it a "name" (for lack of better words), is part of it. To me, the use of of any of these are successful once you make it personal and authentic to you.

Non one here really know me or my playing so it's kind of hard to back this up. I can say that years and years of chasing shortcuts has led me to believe that (a) there is none and (b) you are never finished learning. Knowing this, my advice for this and any method that resonates with you would be to really be able to play each building block down cold befre you move on. It will make every next step that much easier.

My 2 cents.

<EDITED>

Last edited by Jim Kaznosky on 24 Mar 2022 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 6:12 am    

Jim Kaznosky wrote:
What I believe Mr. Ligon has done is exactly what Stefan stated: discovered that there are some common movements happening in ii-Vs which can be exploited. Then he shows his proof, showing dozens of players who manipulate these lines with various devices to get to a point. I hope it is very clear that I'm not saying that it is not successful. It's a book that offers a lot of things to learn that offer a lot more than navigating this all important change. The first few steps of chapter 10 are what I believe is the key to the book - know where to see these basic building blocks all over your instrument and know them cold. The benefit of this is greater than one might think. I believe it helps one "see" the possibilities a little better. Most method books don't have a prescribed way to get it down. This one does and it is a good method.... It will make every next step that much easier.

My 2 cents.

Thanks so much for your advice. Chapter 10 I'm just beginning so a long way to go to get to chapter 10. Very Happy

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 6:20 am    

Mike Neer wrote:

Mike when you recorded this, how much of your solos are pre-arranged? More specifically when you are in a place of the solo where you are just purely improvising, what are the parameters keeping you in the song and not drifting out to no mans land? I realize this may be difficult to explain. This recording has that lovely free flowing quality that all good jazz has. It sounds completely spontaneous, the nature of improv.

I have read about many of the classic jazz sessions of the 50s, where the musicians would basically meet at the studio and start recording before they even know what they are playing. Then cut the entire album, maybe a few takes of each song and done. Then they release the alternate takes and they are completely different and equally as stunning. I feel like the environment and the lifestyle had a lot to do with it. It is a lot different trying to learn jazz alone in your basement.
Jim Kaznosky

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 6:21 am    

Stefan Robertson wrote:
Jim Kaznosky wrote:
What I believe Mr. Lignon has done is exactly what Stefan stated: discovered that there are some common movements happening in ii-Vs which can be exploited. Then he shows his proof, showing dozens of players who manipulate these lines with various devices to get to a point. I hope it is very clear that I'm not saying that it is not successful. It's a book that offers a lot of things to learn that offer a lot more than navigating this all important change. The first few steps of chapter 10 are what I believe is the key to the book - know where to see these basic building blocks all over your instrument and know them cold. The benefit of this is greater than one might think. I believe it helps one "see" the possibilities a little better. Most method books don't have a prescribed way to get it down. This one does and it is a good method.... It will make every next step that much easier.

My 2 cents.

Thanks so much for your advice. Chapter 10 I'm just beginning so a long way to go to get to chapter 10. Very Happy

My suggestion would be to put these into action today. I miswrote-chapter 9 has the overall practice plan. Chapter ten has some specific ideas in how to practice outlines.
You can go through the detailed chapters as you are learning the outlines by wrote, play some of the examples he uses, and mark the ones that your ear gravitates towards.

It's a lot of work. If you learn a tenth of this stuff, you will have learned a lot.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 6:41 am    

Jim Kaznosky wrote:
it worked for me in the sense that the source I was using stressed STOPPING and learning the heck out of a concept before I moved on. This was frustrating as I was playing scales, chords, and arpeggios in all the variations that were prescribed in the method my source instructed. The beautiful thing was that they stressed to find ways to use the simple things like I described to create pretty melodies. When I got to some of the slightly more complex things in his teaching for melodic lines, I felt the ground work that I did paid off and I could "see" and "hear" a bit better.

It reminds me of Karate Kid. Danielson, play the scale, learn the arpeggio. Trust me it will all make sense later. The challenge is not giving up before it all comes together and having the faith that it will. I can't stand playing scales, I always just wanted to make music.
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 6:45 am    

Sorry for the youthful rant.

Just quite surprised that its so secretive.

only person who got close that I know of is Allan Holdsworth. But that is a whole different type of jazz. Still one of my fave's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wts2Mw6Nb5s

Jim Kaznosky

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 6:53 am    

Tim Toberer wrote:
Jim Kaznosky wrote:
it worked for me in the sense that the source I was using stressed STOPPING and learning the heck out of a concept before I moved on. This was frustrating as I was playing scales, chords, and arpeggios in all the variations that were prescribed in the method my source instructed. The beautiful thing was that they stressed to find ways to use the simple things like I described to create pretty melodies. When I got to some of the slightly more complex things in his teaching for melodic lines, I felt the ground work that I did paid off and I could "see" and "hear" a bit better.

It reminds me of Karate Kid. Danielson, play the scale, learn the arpeggio. Trust me it will all make sense later. The challenge is not giving up before it all comes together and having the faith that it will. I can't stand playing scales, I always just wanted to make music.

Make music out of your practice by chunking (combining things to get maximum benefit of time). Here's an idea that I've had to go back to in order to see my scales in C6 tuning. You are learning a scale, you are learning a form, and you are learning to hear the form harmonically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebepc8lYrKs
You still have to use a metronome, but it's a lot better than practicing just a scale out of context. Learn it in as many places as you can realistically play it. Play it without mistakes. Take it through a few keys: I'd go C, F, Bb, Eb at a minimum.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 7:54 am    

Tim Toberer wrote:

Mike when you recorded this, how much of your solos are pre-arranged? More specifically when you are in a place of the solo where you are just purely improvising, what are the parameters keeping you in the song and not drifting out to no mans land? I realize this may be difficult to explain. This recording has that lovely free flowing quality that all good jazz has. It sounds completely spontaneous, the nature of improv.

I have read about many of the classic jazz sessions of the 50s, where the musicians would basically meet at the studio and start recording before they even know what they are playing. Then cut the entire album, maybe a few takes of each song and done. Then they release the alternate takes and they are completely different and equally as stunning. I feel like the environment and the lifestyle had a lot to do with it. It is a lot different trying to learn jazz alone in your basement.

In the months I spent recording that CD, I would shed each tune heavily, exhausting many different possibilities to help me get inside the tune and not sound like I was the same guy improvising over every one of the tunes, playing pet licks. I used to do that on guitar when I’d play gigs, always trying to come up with an approach. Sometimes the drummer would say “Holdsworth” or “ Garcia” and I’d just have fun with it.

Sometimes I would hit on something and that would become sort a theme for the solo that I would keep in mind. While not everything was completely spontaneous, most of it was. Like I said, I practiced over the tunes A LOT, so I was really zoned in on the instrument. I felt like I could play almost anything after spending 6-8 hours day shedding for months. What kept me focused was trying to play the changes, create new changes and see if I could push the envelope a little.

When I was finished, I was satisfied with what I played but also decided that I didn’t ever want to do that again. I just felt hollowed out, feeling like “is that all?” Even gigging after that was difficult for me and I pulled the plug.

My goal on that record was to dive into the jazz realm harder, rather than bringing the music into the steel realm, kind of the opposite of Steelonious. But the fact that I recorded it at home by myself, really took away all the joy of playing jazz, which is a communal art form. Thankfully, I had some great guest soloists to inspire me. I have no regrets, in fact I’m proud of every aspect of the recording, but I need more out of music. I am mostly interested in freeform improvisation and trying to improvise new music on the fly.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 8:30 am    

Man, there is no shortcut to any of this and no one way. The only thing that all will agree on is transcription, not only of the solos, but of the changes. You need to understand where the reharmonizations come from.

It’s good to practice scales in ALL intervals. When I say scales, that is especially including melodic, harmonic minor and major, octatonic (diminished). A lesson with a great guitar player taught me about adding chromaticism to playing arpeggios (on a single string). Approach each tone with approach notes or as they often call them “enclosures”. This is how you start to break free of sounding like you’re playing scales. There are a lot of great sites that offer instructional videos, such as My Music Masterclass, Jazz Heaven and Open Studio. I’ve checked them out. MMM is really great.
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 6:34 am    

Mike Neer wrote:

My goal on that record was to dive into the jazz realm harder, rather than bringing the music into the steel realm, kind of the opposite of Steelonious. But the fact that I recorded it at home by myself, really took away all the joy of playing jazz, which is a communal art form. Thankfully, I had some great guest soloists to inspire me. I have no regrets, in fact I’m proud of every aspect of the recording, but I need more out of music. I am mostly interested in freeform improvisation and trying to improvise new music on the fly.

Mike I wanted to listen to some of your record before I respond. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that somehow this one got past me. After listening to a few tracks, I can say without a doubt this is some of the finest music I have ever heard. On steel or any instrument. Your efforts and dedication are obvious in every note. Thank you for associating with a mere mortal here.

Quote:
When I was finished, I was satisfied with what I played but also decided that I didn’t ever want to do that again. I just felt hollowed out, feeling like “is that all?” Even gigging after that was difficult for me and I pulled the plug.

I hope you change your mind! We need more!! I'm not sure if anyone else has taken this instrument where you have. Sadly, I think it takes way too much time for people to appreciate or maybe even realize when foundations are shaken by the quiet efforts of artists like you. Sol Hoopii's old guitar has chosen a new master.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 12:08 pm    

Tim, you are too, too kind.

Another book recommendation here, but not to teach any particular method:
Thinking In Jazz: The Infinite Art of Improvisation by Paul Berliner.

Through a series of interviews and studies, the author presents a very deep analysis of the many different methods and techniques used in jazz improvisation and how many of the greats learned to improvise. It is a must read, IMO. The price is a little high right now at Amazon but maybe you can find a used copy or a copy in your library. Amazon tells me I bought it in 2012, and I’m pretty sure it was only about $5 for the kindle version then.