| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black Widow in a Steelaire
Austin Starkey

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 8:23 am    

I have both a Quilter Steelaire and a Peavey Session 500 as my steel amps. The Session 500 doesnt get out much due to the weight, but I have been taking the rackmount Steelaire and running it through the Black Widow speaker in the Session 500 and I really like how it mellows out the Steelaire to my ear. I tried taking the neo speaker out of the Steelaire, and mounting the BW in its place and was bummed to find that the speaker was buzzing. I took the speaker back out of the cabinet and let it play unmounted to any cabinet and the buzzing was gone. I assume the buzzing us coming from the mounting of the speaker in the Steelaire cab. The Steelair cab only has 4 mounting screws and the BW was mounted in the Session 500 with all 8. Have y'all encountered this before? Any tips on reducing the buzzing of the BW by adding more screws, upgrading foam, etc.
Thanks
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 8:30 am    

Not knowing the config of either speaker or of either speaker cabinet, my first question is whether they are all front mount or rear mount, and most importantly, whether their is a gasket on the proper side of the speaker face -- if you mixed/matched the front/rear thing you could have ended up mounting the BW without a gasket.

If you know exactly what you are doing, my post is sort of insulting and that is not at all my intention.
Austin Starkey

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 8:34 am    

Good point Jon I didnt specify that. The Steelaire is a rear mount speaker with the bolts going in through the back of the speaker. The BW is a front mount with the bolts going in through the face of the speaker. There was some foam (gasket i assume) on both sides of the BW so I thought it would be ok. Sounds like I may have been mistaken. is it possible to update the gasket and remount it properly?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 8:37 am    

Odd indeed. Many speakers are mounted only by 4 screws. In fac, everything I own, except the Peaveys, are 4 screw mounts.

I doubt that particular issue is your problem. The speaker frame can definitely be distorted by over tightening the mounting bolts, but I'm sure you know that.

I know from experience that the foam inside the BW magnet can fall out and get in the voice coil to cause buzzing, but that should be present in any of your cabinet mounts. So that doesn't make sense.

I don't have any answers, but you might examine the gasket to which Jon referred and try re-mounting it again to make sure it's seated properly.

Don't want to interfere with Jon's guidance here, but is there any reason why you can't mount the BW in the same fashion as the original speaker rear mount? It should mount in either fashion, depending on where the mounting nuts are located. If they are T-nuts, you can just pull them out and install on the other side of the baffle. Perhaps the larger BW magnet is interfering?

Speaker mounting gaskets are available in many online stores.

Good luck and I hope you are able to solve the mystery.
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 1:28 pm    

I always mount all 8 screws in a 15” speaker, it helps the lows resonate better I think… it’s an easy fix to solve your curiosity.
Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 4:06 pm    

I tried that B/W with mine, went to put it in the car, and the speaker's so heavy, it pulled the 4 speaker anchors out of the cabinet with the speaker & the whole works still attached! 😳
Had to make a quick swap for another amp to get to the gig!
I would recommend all 8 an anchors if you're gonna do that. Did sound great in the house though!
Pat
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 4:28 pm    

Hmmm....sounds like the baffle board won't stand the weight of a 17# BW. I doubt 4 more fasteners will help that issue.

It was probably designed and built with that ligher weight neo speaker in mind.
Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 5:29 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Hmmm....sounds like the baffle board won't stand the weight of a 17# BW. I doubt 4 more fasteners will help that issue.

It was probably designed and built with that ligher weight neo speaker in mind.

You're right there Jerry. I didn't even try it after that. I put an EPS-15C into it and voila, much better!