| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tube Amplifier Repair
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2022 2:10 pm    

Wasn't there a thread here listing recommended, trustworthy, amplifier repairmen and facilities reasonably priced? Can anyone direct me to a fairly recent thread or postings? Prefer forum members who repair amps, but will consider anyone of course.
Much Appreciated
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2022 4:17 pm    

Where are you located?
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2022 7:40 am    

Yes, definitely best not to ship, I've spent many hours at day job watching Fedex and UPS throw boxes into /out of trucks, stacks of tires crush boxes etc.

I've learned a lot about diagnostics, from the simple chopstick test, biasing, multimeters, how to get/read schematics (sort of) from reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/ToobAmps/
Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2022 9:42 am    

George, a few years back, I had Ken Fox restore a few Peavey Duece's for me. I sent him the chassis and he did his magic. Price was right and service was timely. You might reach out to him and see if he is still doing amp work.
Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2022 10:54 am    

I did tube amp repairs for Mandolin Bros in Staten Island before they closed.I am in upstate NY now and still keep a shop here.I dont deal with shipping, never did.If you are nearby and I can be of help, let me know.
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 10:57 am    

If you have to ship an amp nowadays, I recommend pulling the amp out of it's cabinet if it's a combo and just shipping the electronics. I just received two Standel 25L15 amps without the cabinets and they were packed well and made it safe. I do repairs in California, if you are still looking.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
George Redmon

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 11:47 am    

Thanks fella's.

I spoke with Ken Fox, and he's not doing repairs. Oh i'm gonna have to ship the amp chassis,can't get around it. I'm pretty much out here in the woods.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 1:17 pm    

Actually I do repairs but avoid amps being shipped in now. Too much damage has been done for my taste to continue getting chassis by FedEx or Heaven help, UPS.

These shipping guys can wreck a rubber ball in a padded room with a toothpick
Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 2:24 pm    

The reason I have always been averse to shipping amps that need repair is not so much the fear of damage but when I repair an amp I want the client to bring it to me, to demonstrate the problem and then try it before he takes it and agrees the problem is solved.Quite often a client may have some preconceived notion about how an amp is going to respond to a repair.They ship you the amp, you ship it back and then they want a refund because the amp doesnt sound as they thought it would.In person drop off and pick up makes that less likey.Quick story.Years ago there was info on the web that SRV got his sound by putting a 5751 in place of the AX7 in V1.There was an interview with Ceasar Diaz where he confirmed using the 5751.No way he insinuated that it was the center of Stevies sound.So I get a kid that needed a cap job in his Fender Vibrolux and wanted a 5751 installed.When he came to pick the amp up he was dissapointed that "it doesnt sound like Stevie" and didnt want to pay for the tube or the cap job cause he doesnt sound like Stevie.Imagine having that argument long distance.I've had many requests to accept an amp shipped from some place, I just wont do it.
Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 2:33 pm    

What's the "chopstick test"?

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 2:41 pm    

Don Downes wrote:

Poking around with a chopstick to find faulty/noisy components.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 3:11 pm    

Carl Gallagher wrote:
Don Downes wrote:

Poking around with a chopstick to find faulty/noisy components.

Many years ago, I used what I called the "hammer test".
I was an auto technician, and had a TINY little ball peen hammer.. I found more bad modules, pickup coils,ECM/ECU's,sensors, hall effect devices, corroded connections, bad grounds, EGR valves, electric motors, relays, fuel pumps, etc etc, with that little hammer, than with a million dollars worth of highly specialized high tech high end "test equipment".

Best of both worlds.. Metal head for added "shock and awe" on dodgy components, and a nice long thin wood handle so I wouldn't get knocked to the floor if I whacked a 40,000 volt ignition coil while standing soaking wet out in the rain....

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 3:19 pm    

That's really interesting, I'd never heard of either of those "techniques". Good to know. And I totally get the 40KV coil. An early tech gig I had used a coil to "simulate" lightning. "Shock and awe!." Yeah. Once. I had the same stick! Laughing

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2022 3:23 pm    

I have a sort of "hammer" I use sometimes as well as a slew of chopsticks (worked in Chinatown for 30 yrs).The hammer is a pencil that has 2 erasers on the end arranged like a hammer.Anything non conductive will do.
George Redmon

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 12:55 pm    

Basically only thing wrong with this little amplifier, are noisy pots. I think one or more may even need replacement. When turned up, the amp hums, most likely a tube or two. That's it.

My amp tech is in Minnesota for the next couple weeks. She has her bench full right now anyway. Man... carrying & sitting up all my gear by myself is not fun neither, actually had to guess how she runs her cables. She uses such short cables, neat & clean. Appreciate your amp tech, i consider my amp tech "Family", such an important member of the band. Guess i'm gonna have to wait on her i 'suppose.
Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 5:58 pm    

DEOXIT!

Grab a can. Spray it into the pot. From the front, spray it in between the shaft and the small surround opening. A LITTLE DAB WILL DO YA! Don't over spray. This works best if the amp is on its back, (pots up) and the Deoxit can trickle down to the wiper. Rotate vigorously after spraying. Rinse and repeat for each pot. Let it dry and test.

Regardless if the pot is scratchy, if it makes a difference in the sound (whatever pot it is), when you turn it, it's likely not a problem.

Try that before tackling the hum. The hum could be caused by dirty pots. If a tube is dead, you likely won't get a hum but a blown fuse instead.

Check your grounds!

Last edited by Don Downes on 22 Mar 2022 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2022 6:40 pm    

The hum could also be DC leaking from the cap feeding the pot.