| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Pedal 1/4 Step Flat Despite Retuning
Leah McPhail

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 12:52 pm    

I have a 70s D12 MSA Classic. Recently I must've pedalled too aggressively or something, and now despite re-tuning the hex nut, the A pedal 5th string can't quite reach a full step with pedals down. How can I remedy this?
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 1:05 pm    

You will have to look at the changer from underneath and see if the lower is pulling away from the stop that the spring holds it against. If so the spring may require a bit more tension. Just enough to hold it when raising. I assume you have already backed off on the nylon nut and made sure the string is tuned to pitch before adjusting the a pedal raise?
Leah McPhail

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 1:53 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
You will have to look at the changer from underneath and see if the lower is pulling away from the stop that the spring holds it against. If so the spring may require a bit more tension. Just enough to hold it when raising. I assume you have already backed off on the nylon nut and made sure the string is tuned to pitch before adjusting the a pedal raise?

Yes! I have. So, I'll try the spring and get back to you. Thanks for responding!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 7:17 pm    

I suspect the puller has slipped on the cross shaft. You may need to remove the pull rod and readjust the puller using an allen wrench until it's inline with the other puller. Then, reinstall the pull rod and retune.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 7:20 pm    

If by any chance you've changed the string, make sure the string isn't a heavier gauge. The two ideas ahead of mine are more probable RP

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 7:26 pm    

It could be the lower return spring on the lower changer finger.
The next thing to check is if the bell crank on the round cross rod has slipped and needs reset and screw tightened.

The classic's I have worked on, If the spring is weak, The only way to make it stronger is cut off 1 coil at a time and re-bend the end loop for attachment.

Good Luck in finding the problem and solution.
Back Happy steelin.

PS Sent you a person E-mail through the forum.
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2022 8:22 am    

Hi Jacob, When you tune the nylon tuner to make the pedaled note go sharper, does the open note go sharp? If so, you may need to increase the travel on the A pedal. I've never owned an MSA but on most steels, there is a set screw under the guitar that controls the amount of travel. Simply back it out a little to gain more travel. Keep in mind if you do this, you will need to retune the 10th string raise as it will now be sharp after adjusting.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2022 10:11 am    

Most often it's a case of the pull rod being overtuned. That just means that in an effort to try and tune the note higher, you shortened the pull so much so that the 5th string/changer finger isn't returning to its neutral resting position. This will cause all kinds of confusion. Make sure you have a tiny bit of play in the pull rods, so that they're not engaging the changer when you're not hitting a pedal. Other adjustments like lower return spring tension, pedal travel, bell crank slot position, etc should come after you're sure the rods have that necessary slack.

If this sounds like it might be the case, the solution is a bit counter intuitive. Back off the nylon tuner enough that there's some play in the rod. Then retune your open B note. Then tune up the pull. If it doesn't reach C# (with slack) you may have to adjust pedal travel or bell crank rod position. That's rarely the case on a guitar that was once working well though.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2022 10:52 am    

Donny may be on the right track. The older MSA guitars had round cross shafts and if the bell crank is not firmly secured it could be slipping under tension. If that is the case it may not be necessary to remove the pull rod, simply back off the nylon tuning nut and realign the bell crank on the shaft.