| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3 legs needed - '47/48 Fender Dual 8 Professional
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2022 7:47 pm    

A music store owner/ friend called me Saturday and had a Fender steel he thought I might want - top was refinished in clear lacquer, pickups are shot and he didn't even know where to start. He didn't want to fool with it, had gotten a playable Stringmaster from the owner as well which is on the sales floor.

He said it had a tweed case and even the springs were good on the latches...and I could have it for...well, let's just say I was there in 15 minutes!

Pickups are going off to Tom Brantley as soon as he can do them (one is nonexistent except - thankfully - for the magnets; the other has the typical collapsed bobbin and broken coil. I normally refinish them if they have been stripped and refinished, but the ash is so nice I'm leaving it alone.

But I still need a source for 3 legs. It has the original 9/16" diameter by 1/2" deep flanges - 4 at one time but changed back to 3.

None of my Fender pedal steel, Emmons or mic stand parts are the correct diameter and/or thread. I'd prefer adjustable legs so I'm not stuck in one seated position. nothing fancy - in fact I'd prefer used ones both to look correct and help with my nonexistent budget!

Thanks -

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2022 6:14 am    

Jim, see this thread:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=297385&sid=96e0976ad89571c5a5bd44049f1623f2
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2022 7:15 am    

Jim,

I'm not sure those sockets are original. I've never owned a boxcar pickup guitar but the trap pickup Dual Pro I used to own had recessed sockets, 3/4"-10 like the Stringmaster. Based on the lap pad on the bottom and no provision in the case for legs (that I can see) I think this was originally a lap steel and not a console. I'll bet a previous owner installed those industrial leg sockets and made up some pipe legs cut to length. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2022 8:10 am    

Bill,
I think you're right on track. Very Happy
Erv
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2022 12:14 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
Jim,

I'm not sure those sockets are original. I've never owned a boxcar pickup guitar but the trap pickup Dual Pro I used to own had recessed sockets, 3/4"-10 like the Stringmaster. Based on the lap pad on the bottom and no provision in the case for legs (that I can see) I think this was originally a lap steel and not a console. I'll bet a previous owner installed those industrial leg sockets and made up some pipe legs cut to length. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

I'vde actually seen a few with the same 9/16" flush-mount sockets, andv there are pictures of both these and recessed - which seem to have come up later - on the web.

I have a suitable stand I've used for my Rick, but the 3 leg setup would take up less room.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2022 7:15 pm    

My Dual Professional (#D46x) has boxcars, blue bottom flocking and no sockets or legs. I vote aftermarket on yours.

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2022 8:01 pm    

Bill/Erv...I agree, I sold one of these last year to a forum member and it was just flocked on the bottom. That's the first thing I thought when I looked at the pics. Those fittings look like fittings for a fold down table in a camper.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2022 8:06 am    

I bought and installed these flanges and legs from Sill music.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 3:57 pm    

If you're going to argue about originality - and as stated, I have seen the same flanges on other Dual Pro's - rather than offer sources for what's there, why are you posting? It's not helpful, so please keep your irrelevant, unhelpful comments off your keyboard.