| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Problem 3rd string, G# Sho Bud Pro II
James Callan

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 3:18 pm    

A few years ago I started to have a problem with the tuning of the 3rd string, G# on the E9th neck. When I would depress the B pedal to go to the A note and release the pedal to go back to the open G# the note would come out flat. When that happened, if I put my foot under the B pedal and pushed it back up all the way, the note would return to the perfectly tuned G#.

At that time I fixed it in the following way:

I tightened the return spring for the 3rd string finger all the way. Then I tuned the open G# string and then backed off on the nylon tuner 1/4 turn. When I backed off the tuner on the open G# string, I noticed the A note came up flat with the Pedal depressed. At that point I unscrewed the stop screw for the B pedal rod 1/4 turn and put the A note back in tune with the pedal down.

That fix worked 3 years ago. As of last week I started having the same problem again. I tried fixing it the same way as last time but the 3rd string finger spring is still tightened as far as it goes. Should I untighten it and tighten up the rod that connects to the changer spring and then re-tighten the changer spring screw? I appreciate any recommendations you can give me. Thanks.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 11:30 pm    

If you cannot move the cross shaft to and fro enough to here a tick sound, it is because the cabinet has shrunk down over the years and has begun to seize the cross shaft.

In this case, the cross-shaft is pushed against the cabinet at the inside front apron with a lot of force which creates enough friction on the rotating shaft to not let it return all the way. It pushes against a c-clip at the shaft holder near the back apron.

You need to remove any stuck cross shafts and file the pedal side end off 1/16" or so. No more than required or your pedal stops won't line up properly and you'll have a serious issue.

That's my working theory because I had the same issue. Once you fix one, the cabinet then continues to move a bit and others will begin to seize. Rinse and repeat.

Another approach to fixing, depending on your climatic situation is to humidity the cabinet to make it expand thus releasing the crossshafts. In my 30% r.H. climate, its a no go, I don't waste a moment watering my musical instruments, I mod them to adapt to my climate.
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 6:29 am    

James,

The adjustable spring affects mainly the string returning to open pitch once its lowered. Sense the 3rd string isn't typically lowered, there needs to be enough tension on it to stabilize the "lowering" portion of the finger assembly so as it doesn't counter act the raising portion of the finger assembly when the pull rod is raising the string to pitch. So, I would recommend having that adjustable spring adjusted somewhat tight but not maxed out. On string 3, there should also be a raise helper spring to help pull that string up to A more efficiently.

Having said that, It sounds almost like you're fingers are hanging up on the changer axle. The beautiful thing about Sho~Bud is you can do a decent service on the changer without totally disassembling the undercarriage. Just remove the strings and gently start to tap the axle out of the housing enough to grab it with pliers. Then take a phillips head screwdriver and stick it in place of the axle as you slide it out to hold the fingers in place. Once the axle is removed, you can clean and polish it and rotate 180 degress on re-installation. I lube the axle lightly with Tri-Flow Teflon Lubricant. Don't douse in oil as it just gets on everting. This should make your guitar play much smoother and should aid in the changer fingers working more efficently.

Feel free to PM me your phone number if you would like me to talk you through it. It's pretty hard to mess it up. I've done it to several guitars.

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 6:36 am    

James,
This picture should give you an idea of what I was trying to explain.