| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphones for Pedal Steel
Eric Ibarra

Tyler, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 5:28 am    

Hello friends,

I was wondering if any of you used headphones to plug into your amp.

The ol' lady has mentioned that it's just a tad bit loud when I'm playing at night. So I wanted to ask y'all if you had any recommendations as far as headphones go.

My amp is a Boss Katana 100W.

Thank you,
Eric
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 6:08 am     head phones

here you go
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326265&highlight=head+phones
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 6:34 am    

I always recommend an open back over ear headphone for quiet practicing. Open back as they allow a bit of "open speaker in the room" feel to the sound.

I like the Sennheiser wired series. Comfortable pads that you can wear for hours. Usually these terminate in a 1/4" jack but adaptors are easy to come by. Cords are detachable on the pricier models.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Eric Ibarra

Tyler, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 8:48 am     Re: head phones

I saw this thread earlier this morning, but it was from 2018. I was wanting to see if there were any more updated suggestions on headphones.

Paul Wade wrote:
here you go
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326265&highlight=head+phones
Eric Ibarra

Tyler, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 8:49 am    

John, thank you! I was wondering about those "open back" style headphones.

John Larson wrote:
I always recommend an open back over ear headphone for quiet practicing. Open back as they allow a bit of "open speaker in the room" feel to the sound.

I like the Sennheiser wired series. Comfortable pads that you can wear for hours. Usually these terminate in a 1/4" jack but adaptors are easy to come by. Cords are detachable on the pricier models.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 9:37 am    

Eric: (Assumption) When I first read this I assume that you are looking for specific models of headphones to use to plug into the headphone jack on your Katana.

If so............

Paul: Did you read through the topic that you linked to?
Outside of a couple of posts that reference headphones but give no specific part numbers, there is NOTHING in the way of specific headphones and part numbers.

Back to the original topic discussion.

I don't have a Katana and have never played through one.
That said:
- I don't know how good the headphone jack sounds. There was a lot that turned up on a Google search. Ultimately, your ears will be the judge.
- I don't know if the headphone jack is stereo or mono. A Google search of this question turned up zilch.
- Pay close attention to the hearing loss subject when using headphones. Pete Townshend (The WHO) warned 40 years ago that we are going to end up with an entire generation of people with hearing loss due to Walkmans and related devices.

Once you get a few specific models of headphones, you'll need to do your own Google as well as in person research.

Here's a sample of one that turned up when I was researching your other question.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/best-headphones-for-guitar-amps

Good luck.
Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 10:24 am    

I use headphones quite often for early morning or when my wife is watching TV. I have multiple pair of SuperLux HD681 headphones.

I use these in the headphone jack of my Nashville 112, in an Evans preamp, and also a Stereo Steel preamp. I often run any of these amps/preamps thru a Yamaha MG10XU mixer to blend in a drum machine and backing track using the headphone jack in the mixer. These headphones are outstanding. A local audio sound shop recommended these to me 10 years ago and I've used them ever since then.

They are available on Amazon and Thomannmusic.
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 6:58 pm    

Eric, I love my Sony 7506 Studio Monitor Pro headphones. Nice long cord, excellent frequency response and tone reproduction.

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), and a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).