| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sperzel tuner on SKH Emmons
Rex Blevins

Jenks, Oklahoma USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 6:49 pm    

Has anyone else had problems with Sperzel tuners on a SKH Emmons ? I called Sperzel and they said that that particular tuner used a lubricant that over time hardened and acted like glue. The only option is to remove the tuner, take the button off and soak it in kerosene , let it dry out and place a drop of oil in it and re-assemble it.
If anyone has a set of Sperzel tuners for a SKH that work and would like to sell them, let me know. Thanks .
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 8:39 pm    

Rex, Rex, Rex. How ya doin' man. There have been many threads about this. Sperzel isn't a real responsive bunch. I too, am trying to get new tuners from them. Don't bother with that soaking business. The tuners that seem to be closest for us is their Solid pro tuners. The new MSA's come with them. The footprint will fit perfectly, "I believe". The shafts on 5 and 6 may be too long but they could be ground down just a little. Strings 1 and 10 might also be a little long, making the strings wind in at quite an angle. They do make various length shafts. I sent them a picture with all my carefully made measurements. I did this a month ago and have heard nothing. Then I got busy working on a customer's Zum and haven't had time to call them. I think they're not real interested in helping individuals, only big sales. Bless you man. Ron Pruter

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 6:29 am    

I had this issue with mine. I took the tuners apart, not just removed the button. Take the worm gear totally out. Some were a bit difficult, but if you turn the shaft a bit as you push most will come apart. On a couple I had to put a jeweler's screwdriver in the string hole and apply a little torque to assist with disassembly. I used two plastic ice trays to keep the parts matched up by tuner. I put the button etc in one tray and the worm and housing with the gears in the other tray. Then using lighter fluid (naphtha) and a toothbrush, toothpicks, and pipe cleaners, I cleaned out all the old grease in the worm and gear. I repacked them with red n tacky grease and re-assembled them. When you put them back together, don't tighten the button screw very much. Just enough to take out all the slack.

They work almost like new now.

Jenks, Oklahoma USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 2:12 pm     SKH Sperzel Tuners

I want to Thank You both for your comments, they both give food to think on and develop a plan. Ron, I still think the SKH I sold to you was a really good guitar . I really appreciate the thoughts both of you have offered. BTW , I don’t have much use for Sperzel after talking to them.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 10:47 am    

There are plenty of threads regarding the Sperzel tuners from the early 80's era with hardened grease. Its not the button tops being too tight as a few suggest, its the internal grease, its like a rock.

Some of the tuners come apart for total cleaning, some of them do not. Its hit or miss.

A suggestion is soaking them in solvent to loosen up the hardened grease and working it out by turning the shaft .

These tuners were use on by Emmons and Sho Bud guitars at the time, maybe more. And no there are not interchangeable with other tuners, the shafts and diameters are not consistent.

This Sperzel thing shows its ugly head now and then but its not a new discussion.

heres one

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=338152&highlight=sperzel

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website