| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Double Duty Amp
Vincent Nugent

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 8:49 am    

I have a Beard Josh Swift Standard dobro with a Fishman Nashville pickup and a Jackson Maverick HD E9 pedal steel. I have a Fishman Loudbox mini for the dobro and a Peavey Nashville 1000 (too heavy) for the psg. I'm looking for any recommendations for an amp that can do double duty. Thank you.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 9:34 am    

Quilter Micro-Pro, lightweight and more features than you'll ever use. I have 8" combo version and separate head (with various speaker cabinets). Have used for pedal steel, lap steel, acoustic & electric guitar, dobro, and mandolin.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 2:11 pm    

You might consider the Fender ToneMaster Twin since it has 2 separate channels. Not sure on a Dobro. Hard to beat the Fishman Loudbox for acoustic tone.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 7:02 pm    

A single-channel amp will do double duty if you use the amp's EQ for the main instrument and put an EQ stompbox in the secondary instrument's signal chain.If the amp has 2 inputs, use both of them. If only one, an A/B box right before the front of the amp will work.
I've done that with my Session 500, NV112,and Milkman Half & Half.
Vincent Nugent

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 5:57 am    

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 7:41 am    

If lightweight is the key, then I think you'd be well served by Tonemaster Twin, Quilter or Milkman Half and Half. As Dave points out, not all those are 2-channel amps, but they've got plenty of flexibility and clarity.

As Larry says though, you might not get anything as nice as the Fishman for acoustic. My guitarist swears by his Fishman.

If you end up really wanting to stick with the Fishman, the Nashville 112, Half and Half, and various Quilter combos are so light that you might actually prefer hauling one of them and a Fishman rather than a larger do-it-all amp.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 7:46 am    

One last suggestion. I think anyone looking for an amp (especially for multiple purposes) owes it to themselves to stop into a local shop and at least try out a Fender Rumble 200. Bass amps these days are quite versatile and full range in terms of flexibility and 200 watts and a 15" in a 34 pound package is pretty impressive.

Doesn't hurt that it's cheaper than most other lightweight options.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 7:43 pm    

I had always thought that a Peavey Austin 400 (one acoustic channel and one electric channel) would work well like that I believe it has the tweeter on only for the acoustic channel. Very inexpensive (my brother bought one for $100 a few years ago). Sounds great just ugly and heavy.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 9:36 pm    

I'm going to suggest an early 70s SF Bandmaster Reverb.

I have many amps including a Loudbox Mini and Genz Benz Shenandoah LT150 both of which are great acoustic and vocal amps... but really do not do well with steel guitar or electric anything.

I also have a 72 BMR and its very unique quality is that it has a hi-fi yet tubey sound that works very nicely for both acoustic and electric instruments. I have used it with a smallcondenser mic'd dobro, piezo driven acoustic guitars, electric guitats, steel guitar and even vocal mics when needed.

I've used it as a stage monitor, PA, and basic instrument amp.

It's a very flexible one-size fits all rig.

I happen to have the original matching cab with 2x JBL k120 speakers but it works even better with a closed back Jbl D130 speaker for many situations.

The mods I would like to do is change tonestack component values on one channel to blackface specs to give two voicing possibilities. Another would be to make it switchable to class A to offer a major change in feel and tone for certain electric guitar situations.