| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Koefer or Roy Ayres on this one?
Thomas Nehrenberg

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 8:21 am    

Hello my dear fellow steelers!

The other day I stumbled upon an old Pee Wee King-number which is called "Indian Giver". Immediately I fell in love with that tune, learned the steel parts and - out of pure curiosity - tried to research who played this funny & cool 8 bar-solo starting at around 1:14?!

Praguefrank's Country Discography listed Bobby Koefer on steel and (Pee Wee's long time steeler) Roy Ayres on standard guitar. Hhmm, what do you guys think?! I do know that Bobby Koefer uses just one thumb-pic and how he is holding his bar, BUT: I got to admit I am not too familiar with the spectrum of stylistic possibilities one could achieve operating pic and bar the way he does. And - also - I am not too familiar with his work besides some of the more known YT-clips dating back to his Bob Wills-stint. Sure I could watch tons of live video-clips of Bobby from the last decades - and of course I saw a few - to build my own opinion, but I really would appreciate the input of you guys! What do you think: is this solo more likely played by someone operating his "tools" the usual way, or is it absolutely possible and more than likely that this particular solo was played by Bobby?!

Here is the YT-clip to "Indian Giver". Even if you ain't got no clue yourself, I am pretty sure this audio is enjoyable enough to spend 2:11 with it Oh Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k05L7Vo471M

Thanks in advance for your input and keep on steelin'

Tom from Berlin/Germany

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 9:35 am    

Roy Ayres was a member of our Florida Steel Guitar Club and spent his last years in the Tampa Florida area.

Roy told me about leaving the band, I think Military duty, and when he came back it was as standard guitar.
I don't recall much more.
Thomas Nehrenberg

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2022 4:37 am    

Thank you for your reply Mr. Stoner, your input is very much appreciated! btw: Lee Jeffries confirmed (via Facebook) this particular solo was played by Bobby Koefer