| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ampeg Gemini I
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 5:46 pm    

There is a local Ampeg Gemini I (G12) for sale. I think it’s a 1966. Hand wired 22 watts, reverb, tremolo, two channels. Seems a lot like a Fender Deluxe reverb in a bigger heavier cabinet. Do people like these as non pedal steel amps? It seems so inexpensive I’m worried I’m missing something. Any experience is welcome.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 7:18 pm    

A friend of mine had one, I played guitar through it several times at his house. It wasn't in the best condition but I did like it even the way it was. It had a nice warm tone. It broke up kind of early but it definitely needed a good service. I would sure buy one for a reasonable price.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 7:31 pm    

The Ampeg Gemini I - G12 - (or Gemini II - G15 - for that matter) is one of the best jazz guitar amps ever made, to my tastes. Good for blues too. I have one of each. I prefer the G12, which I find more versatile.

The tone stack is very different from a blackface/silverface Fender. It's based on the Baxendall circuit - the EQ is pretty much flat at the controls' center. Whether you like it for lap steel depends on what you're going for. Tuned up right, they stay pretty clean up to a reasonably loud volume, but it's a pretty 'warm' clean in comparison to a typical Fender or steel amp. They can distort though, if pushed.

Tubes can be an issue with Ampeg amps. By the mid-60s 7591 power tubes were standard issue, and often with a 7199 driver tube. Not rare but not as easy to find as more typical 6V6 or 6L6 and 12AX7 or 12AT7. A bunch of Ampegs from this period, like the Jet, use really hard-to-find Compactron tubes. But most of the G12s were 12AX7 preamps, with a single 6CG7 reverb driver. I believe some of the earlier ones used octal preamp tubes.

I see these typically going for $600-800 right now, so if you can snag a nice one in good shape for a few hundred, that sounds like a deal to me. But I'd verify the condition, state of repair, and the tubes. Refurbishment and new tubes can get expensive.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 8:49 pm    

I love old Ampegs and have owned a bunch over the years.
They have a cool vintage sound, but I dunno, not sure if they are a good lap steel amp. To me, just not the right voice. Others may disagree. pedal steel?nah...

Good jazz amps, and just good sounding over all, but there is a reason you don't see anyone using them for much these days. They seem to have their own voice, but don't seem to fit many modern styles. They don't break up like say a Fender Deluxe when you want them to break up, and aren't as clean as a Fender when you want clean headroom.
I always loved them, but I dunno, they just never seemed "right" as a stage amp for my taste.
Although there were a LOT of these amps made you never saw many pros use this particular series much on stage.
the Portaflex B15 bass amp is still one of the most highly prized and desirable bass amps on the planet and good ones are priced accordingly..They have a low power bass tone thats never been duplicated.. To me they make a Fender bass sound like a big acoustic bull bass only louder.

In any case, price is everything for a Gemini series or Reverborocket. If its less than $400 and it works good, great deal. $500? - decent deal..
$600?- Now you are just paying market price.

Somesellers try and get $800- $1000, but they don't typically sell that easily in that price range , unless they are in ultra clean shape, and all tuned up.

As dave said, tubes can be tricky depending on whats in there,, Fliptops has the set for a Gemini I... Not cheap at $165, and thats for Russian tubes, not NOS tubes.IMHO, If the price is right grab it, they are cool amps.You just need to find the right places to use it.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 9:03 am    

My B12-XT was the finest sounding amplifier that I've ever owned. Wish I still had it, but it was a drag schlepping it from place to place.

Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 9:38 am    

I had 2 of them for years, a Gemini II and a Gemini VI.I rewired the VI to be close to a B12 circuit with an OT for a B12 and put a bass speaker in it.One of my sons uses it for bass in one of his bands.The II I rewired many years ago to use 6L6's years before Sovtek and JJ began producing modern versions of the 7591's.Loaned it to a friend about 5 years ago, he's been using it ever since.Interesting point, they both still have the original preamp tubes and they are still going strong.I have about 200 NOS various preamp tubes I've been amassing since the early 80's and the old Bugle Boys sound just as good as any of them.Just dont make them like they used to.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 8:51 am    

I have owned a couple of the Ampeg Gemini amps with the 12"speaker , and they are kind of cool in their own way , but they are way too bulky for the amount of sound they produce . A Deluxe Reverb is much louder in my experience .
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 9:21 am    

J Fletcher wrote:
I have owned a couple of the Ampeg Gemini amps with the 12"speaker , and they are kind of cool in their own way , but they are way too bulky for the amount of sound they produce . A Deluxe Reverb is much louder in my experience .

Agreed.. they are so cool but I always seemed to find a "problem" with them and quickly moved into something else for stage use..Never thought much about the "size vs power" equation that you mentioned, but its valid... Still, I have always grabbed an old Ampeg instantly when I could buy them right... Never lost money on one that I can remember.. lots of guys buy them to this day because of the "old school cool" factor.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 2:38 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
My B12-XT was the finest sounding amplifier that I've ever owned. Wish I still had it, but it was a drag schlepping it from place to place.

That is one of the prettiest amps I've ever seen.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 5:00 pm    

Thanks everyone! I did go ahead and get it. Looking forward to getting a chance to really play with it for a while. I see that people mean when they say it’s size to power ratio is very high!

Last edited by Joe Kaufman on 16 Feb 2022 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 5:52 pm    

Most of these amps I've seen over the years, including the 2 I owned showed a marked improvement in power and tone with a filter cap change and new power tubes.Thay are a bitch to carry.When I was a kid I had no car and often transported that amp to gigs via the NYC subway.Carry the amp down one flight, go back for my axe and reapeat.Oh to be young, strong and foolish again.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 12:55 am    

Made in Linden, NJ back in the '60s, Ampegs were huge on the east coast - Boston, NYC, Philly. Lotta guys I knew had Ampegs back then.

I know some Americana guys that love these for guitar. They are bulky for their "apparent" power, but the fact that they don't blister your ears is generally considered to be a good thing these days. These amps are not trebly at all, so actually when you consider that amplifying low and middle frequencies cleanly generally requires more power, they are plenty loud for that specific application.

Quote:
When I was a kid I had no car and often transported that amp to gigs via the NYC subway.Carry the amp down one flight, go back for my axe and reapeat.Oh to be young, strong and foolish again.

I did the same in Boston, but no way could I leave guitar sitting to get the amp without it getting stolen - I had to carry them both without fail. I had a circa '65 Bandmaster with homemade 2x12" bottom, but no way could I schlepp that on the streetcar. So I got a cheap and relatively light Univox U65 amp to go with my '65 Fender Mustang in brown tolex case. I never went anywhere without that guitar - sun, rain, snow, or sleet - drove the school admins nuts. I gave that Univox to my brother years ago, but found one at the Philly guitar show in November for $75. Not bad for a cheap solid-state amp.
Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 4:07 pm     B-15 preamp/phase inverter tubes

I never understood why Ampeg chose the 6SL7 for the B15's preamp stages. Why have a tube with unused diode plates? Oh, and Carl? Were you ever in a band with a B3 player? You'd think that lugging an SVT or V4B around was was light work.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 4:40 pm     Re: B-15 preamp/phase inverter tubes

Robert B Murphy wrote:
I never understood why Ampeg chose the 6SL7 for the B15's preamp stages. Why have a tube with unused diode plates? Oh, and Carl? Were you ever in a band with a B3 player? You'd think that lugging an SVT or V4B around was was light work.

6SL7 was the popular twin triode in the days before the 12A?7's became popular.What unused diode plates are you talking about?Well if I was a B3 player I wouldnt be humping it around the subway system as I had to do with the Gemini and a guitar.
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 4:47 pm    

Ampegs are great amps. In Jersey many of us had them in the mid 60's. My 1st was a Gemini l which my Dad bought for me at Manny's in 1968 ..160.00...I was 15. Still have a '66 Reverberocket II (added a 12" EV SRO coffeecan...wow) a '64 Jet and a '68 B12XT which like Jack said is AMAZING,but a bear to haul around. Just sold a Gemini Vl which was excellent and a Gemini ll that Jess Oliver tweaked 20 years ago (Great guy! RIP) These Ampegs are great for all styles of music..the B12XT is AMAZING for pedal steel ! Joe...If the amp breaks up too early,just replace the speaker with a more efficient 12"...

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 5:23 pm    

My dad had a Gemini 1, and i later bought a Gemini 2. My dad's Gemini 1 had a 12" speaker, mine had a 15" in it, a great reverb, and if i remember correctly, it was either 6V6, or 6L6 powered with 12AX7. I do recall they both used the Jensen Alnico speakers. So long ago, such a nice old tube amplifier.

This one doesn't sound too bad neither.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-6DfGEg5w
Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 6:41 pm    

George, that video is what these amps were designed for....jazz.Most of the Gemini II's had 7591 power tubes, maybe the later ones used 6L6's? The preamp was 12AX7's,6CG7 and a 7199 for the PI.To get them to open up and get some drive you had to turn the treble max, at the end of the pots travel was a switch when it was on it really gave it a boost.Turn it off and turn the treble down and you got that nice clean, like the beginning of that vid you posted.I like the 15" speaker better.I actually let a bass player in our band use it for bass,held up for about 3 yrs til the speaker blew.It was a Jensen Concert, I had it reconed by Ted Webber, never used it for bass again.
Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 7:07 pm    

Carl, oops! My mistake. I was confusing it with the 6AV6 in an early carvin amp I have. Every B3 player I ever knew looked upon those around them as galley slaves. No one was safe.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 7:15 pm    

No problem, had me scratching my head,lol.Only keyboards I played with were Fender Rhodes, a beast itself with that big speaker cab/stand.
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 11:47 pm    

Thanks everyone. Get to play it a little bit tomorrow!
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 6:54 am    

Here is a Gemini II currently listed on the Springfield, MO Craigslist for $1000 just in case anyone had an interest.

I have no affiliation with this sale and know nothing about it.

https://springfield.craigslist.org/msg/d/springfield-1968-ampeg-gemini-ii-1000/7449192384.html
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 12:18 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Here is a Gemini II currently listed on the Springfield, MO Craigslist for $1000 just in case anyone had an interest.

I have no affiliation with this sale and know nothing about it.

https://springfield.craigslist.org/msg/d/springfield-1968-ampeg-gemini-ii-1000/7449192384.html

Yeah, he's asking the same full retail that a vintage gear dealer would ask.. Lots of them in very good shape on Reverb.com $200-$300 cheaper, and not "needing a tube".