| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Respect to Fouke industrial!
Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 2:23 pm    

Just got my purple menace in the mail today:

And all I've got to say is the tone is amazing, and sustain for days. The tone is more aggressive than my other lap steels, I think because of the pickup on it. But I can also see it getting gentle tones quite easy. The unit feels like I can bring it out and not worry about tuning.

The build is amazingly solid, has some heft to it for sure!

Just had to give a shot out to Chris Fouke at Fouke Industrial doing a great job!

I'm curious if all the Fouke Industrials sound similar or if this is a bit different due to being a one off. Hmm.

Anyone else have some good experiences with Fouke? I'm especially curious about the biscuit rez.

https://industrialguitar.com/ for the site.

Ok, back to playing it, and testing it out through some reverbs for some ethereal sounds! Alien

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 8:48 pm    

I have a custom 7 string that Chris built for me. Looks great. Plays great. Sounds great. And might come in handy at rough bar gigs too!

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 9:49 am    

I practically never see these for sale 2nd hand. I wonder why?
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 1:14 pm    

Fouke makes some of the coolest stuff. Definitely dont see too many for sale. I also dont run across a ton of demos or examples to listen to (especially on a clean setting) so fouke owners if you have recordings of you playing one, Id encourage you to post it somewhere. I think if more people realized how good these guitars are they'd be even more popular.

I like your name for it "the Purple Menace" I bet the only thing menacing thing about it is not wanting to stop playing it.
Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 3:45 pm    

Daniel McKee wrote:
Fouke makes some of the coolest stuff. Definitely dont see too many for sale. I also dont run across a ton of demos or examples to listen to (especially on a clean setting) so fouke owners if you have recordings of you playing one, Id encourage you to post it somewhere. I think if more people realized how good these guitars are they'd be even more popular.

I like your name for it "the Purple Menace" I bet the only thing menacing thing about it is not wanting to stop playing it.

Ha, that's what Chris Fouke named it. I like calling it Purple Rain instead.

I think Chris posts a lot of the videos up, and he likes the non clean pedals it seems! Smile

Its a bit heavy I've got to admit, I think I played it 8 or so hours straight due to the holiday.

I'd post some audio clips, but I don't want to embarrass myself Shocked

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 6:15 pm    

I have two of Chris' guitars, one a standard scale and the other a baritone, both with Certano benders. I've posted a few videos of tunes I played with each of them. I think the fact that the instruments are hollow is a key feature in their tone, which is rich whether clean or with a touch of overdrive. I really love those guitars.

Congrats on taking delivery of yours!

My Computer
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 9:15 am    

Wow.......that is a purple guitar.
I like it. Unusual color, unusual design and very distinctive.
I bet it sounds great. You will enjoy the heck out of it.

Chris made a baritone guitar for me last year.
He is one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with.
Lots of emails going back and forth to make sure he understood what I wanted.
..........and he nailed it.
This thing is an absolute tone monster. Every time I plug it in my ears just go Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh............

Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2022 10:28 pm    

I bought my Indy 8 in 2004, and have never wanted another; the tone and sustain are awesome. I've got it in A6 these days, and I smile every time I play it!