| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using Delay (and Reverb)
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 12:04 pm    

Hey everyone!

Here's an article that talks about using delay (and reverb) with pedal steel...
https://playpedalsteel.com/delay-and-reverb/

How many of you use delay when you play, and how do you use it? Anyone using a reverb pedal instead of the amp's reverb?

-Casey

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 12:30 pm    

Casey, I use a multi effects processor for delay and reverb. I have several different types. To me the amp reverb is limited so I prefer this. I dial in the reverb I'm after 1st then add delay to taste. Usually just one repeat.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 3:30 pm    

I use Flashback delay with my little Walter. My milkman has a very nice onboard reverb. I'm experimenting now with reverb pedals. I just an RV 7 and a Boss 63 spring reverb pedal just arrived in the mail today. I didn't like the reverb on my quilter amp or the peavy amps I've owned.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 3:55 pm    

I prefer the amp/onboard spring reverb if it's a true reverb spring tank. I use a boss DM3 delay pedal that I've had since the 80's, bought new. A little goes along way so don't mush out your sound.Its great for being able to do the "Big River" tic-toc slap bass when there's not much else to do in the song, just one example.

Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 11 Feb 2022 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 6:54 pm    

I'm with Kevin. I use a Boss DD-3 and the spring reverb in my Nashville 1000 Amp, set around 3-4 (10-11 o'clock). The perfect combination for my rig... Very Happy

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), and a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Murray McDowall

Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 9:38 pm    

I just use the built in reverb on my TCA-500 and a Boss DD3T in the parallel effects circuit. Just set it for one slap-back and its all good.
Works a treat!
Telonics TCA-500C & FP-100D pedal.
Steelers Choice Sidekick & Backrest.
Steelers Choice Seat.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 10:43 pm    

For the last 4 or 5 years I have used a Budda Samsana Delay pedal in my line for better tone. Feb. 4th I got the Quilter Tone Block 202 I ordered the 31st of August 2021. I adjusted the 202 to Travis Toys settings. Then put the delay pedal in the line and the sound went muddy. Do not need delay in this amp.
Oh Boy, Less weight in my seat to carry.
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 5:49 pm     Reverb and delay

I am currently playing a GFI through a Quilter Steelaire driving a pair of Travis Toy 15's in a pair of old Peavey cabinets. I use the onboard reverb, and sometimes a little (very little) delay from a Strymon Timeline. I like the Quilter's reverb so well that a lot of times I use no delay at all. (For what it's worth, I returned to a passive volume pedal too.)
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 12:12 pm     Re: Using Delay (and Reverb)

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:
Hey everyone!

Here's an article that talks about using delay (and reverb) with pedal steel...
https://playpedalsteel.com/delay-and-reverb/

How many of you use delay when you play, and how do you use it? Anyone using a reverb pedal instead of the amp's reverb?

-Casey

Casey, I appreciate you wanting to spread information to the wider world about the various aspects of pedal steel. Unfortunately, the page you have created comes off somewhat as a click-bait, ad-funnel.

It's titled "Using Delay and Reveb" and it's rather lengthy but aside form a couple Bobbie-Semour linked videos, it tells you almost nothing about how to actually use delay and reverb.

Maybe less flowery words about how nice these effects are and how much we should use them and more concrete information about what the typical controls are on these types of effects, how they affect the signal, some sample settings, etc.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 1:31 pm    

Really interesting to hear the specific gear being used... seems like having one slapback is a good go-to or starting point for adding more texture to the signal without making it too muddy.

Appreciate the feedback Karl! Definitely trying to spread information and make playing as easy and enjoyable as possible for anyone looking for resources - certainly not meant for getting clicks! This article was challenging to write without specifics/demonstration (hence the Bobbe Seymour vids), and meant for the descriptions to encourage people to experiment and learn more about using delay with pedal steel. Thanks for the specific recommendations for how to articulate the information in a more concrete way, really appreciate it!

Hope everyone's doing well, truly appreciate everyone sharing how you use delay!!

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 2:34 pm    

I use delay for playing long pad type stuff. Very ambient and atmospheric. Set the mix about halfway the repeats low and the rate to taste.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 3:00 pm    

I will add that the great John Hughey used both delay and reverb in his Lexicon Mpx 1 to great success. Everyone wanted that setting and it sold a lot of units. I have 2 of them. Over the years I experimented with the Electro harmonix Deluxe Memory man, Digitech rack and floor units, Boss pedals, Line 6 Pods, Alexis rack units, Art rack units, TC Electronics rack and Peavey Profex II. They all gave me something I was chasing at the time but my overall favorite is the Lexicon Mpx 1. Best tone but hard to program. Sometimes just the Boss RV3 is quick and easy and has delay and reverb.