| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Extendable Legs; Keeping Consistent Equal Height
Ben Braidfoot

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 3:55 pm    

So, I just got a new guitar in last week. It’s got extendable legs, which are much needed as I’m 6’4. And while I think I’ve got the height set to an appropriate height for my body, I’m having trouble getting all the legs set up to equal height.

So for those of you out there with extendable legs, how do you set them up consistently???
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 5:55 pm    

Ben, just measure how much one leg is extending out of the fatter section and make them all the same. If it rocks a little, make adjustment to the short one. Most people play with a level body setting. I don't. If you're talking pedal steel, your pedals should be set to clear the floor when depressed and be comfortable. Have fun. Ron

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 6:27 am    

I keep three always at the same length (three legs will always be stable and sit flat), and then adjust the fourth, the right rear, to make it stable.

Once they're set evenly and at the proper height, you should never have to adjust the front legs.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 6:53 am    

A simple trick that I learned some time ago. Carry a few small washers that are the same diameter as the bottom of the leg extension. If you encounter a slightly uneven floor, remove the leg tip and install enough washers to make the guitar sit level. Saves the trouble of adjusting the leg to temporarily compensate.
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 6:59 am    

Interesting solution, David.

I bought some plastic furniture shims (of course I keep losing the little things!) and shim up that one "odd" leg. I am now trying to not readjust legs to suit each floor. They get loose and I have had a leg sort of collapse in the middle of a set. Annoying!

Amazon calls them Wobble Wedges.

Chris
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 8:39 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I keep three always at the same length (three legs will always be stable and sit flat), and then adjust the fourth, the right rear, to make it stable.

Agreed. I just kneel behind the guitar, put my left shoulder under it to raise it or lower it as needed, adjust the right rear leg leg, tighten it, and stand up again.

It just takes moments to do.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 11:06 am    

Are you having trouble with the leg clutches slipping? If so you can cut pieces of PVC pipe or wood dowel to keep the leg at the right height, after cleaning the pieces of hte clutch https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=353458&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 6:56 pm    

Dowel rod through the center tube of the legs works good.
Cut to length you want, Remove the rubber foot slide the dowel rod in, put the rubber foot back on. If you need to lengthen 1 back legs so it will set level and stable on a crooked floor.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 5:27 am    

If you are trying to raise the height of the guitar to accommodate your long legs by just extending the legs, that’s not gonna work. You will either need longer legs & pedal rods or a lift kit. Unless your pedal bar has thru the leg bolts, it’s probably gonna slide up or down the small part of the leg without a solid spacer.