| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tuning problem
Terry Pendlay

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 7:05 am    

I have a Jackson SD10 E9 . i moved the LOwer Es to the left side..was on the right side.. now i tune the E s ok and can tune the Es to raise to Fs ok ,but when i tune the Es TO the Eb,,,LKR then the Es go sharp alot..Lower the Es and start over and it does the same..any one had this and what to do .. thanks
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 7:38 am    

Check the “sticky” at the top of the Pedal Steel section on overtuning.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 9:50 am    

If you have broken any strings in the past, check to determine if the ball end is caught in the changer and restricting movement of the fingers.
If not, it appears that you may have possibly over tuned one (or both) of the lowers. Simple test to determine this:
Locate the nylon tuners that engage the 'E' string lowers and with the lever completely disengaged, back off each nylon tuner while striking the corresponding string with your finger. If you detect the note begin to drop in pitch on either string as you turn, then that could be the problem. May need to reposition the pull rod on the bell crank.
Terry Pendlay

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 1:07 pm     tuning problem

Thanks Dave that was it .no string ball but E s when down when loosing the nylon nut ,, now how do i change the changer and rod position?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 3:10 pm     Re: tuning problem

Terry Pendlay wrote:
Thanks Dave that was it .no string ball but E s when down when loosing the nylon nut ,, now how do i change the changer and rod position?

You may not have to. An alternate way to correct the problem is simply to increase the pedal travel. There should be a screw adjustment on the front of the guitar where the pedal rods are hooked to the cross rods. Increasing the pedal travel just small amount may just solve your problem.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 8:37 pm    

Did you take pictures or draw a rodding chart before you traded the pulls on the levers.

It sounds like you need a move the rod in the changer finger closer to the axle. Or move the the pull rod farther from the cross rod in the bell crank. This would give the changer more travel.

If you do not have a Rodding Chart, Contact Jackson Steel company and get a copy of their rodding chart. The lower E to D# takes quite a bit of travel to lower that small string.

Good Luck Getting your guitar back in tune.
Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 9:02 am    

While I don't know what model Jackson you have, you may find some useful information in this video Jackson put out concerning the Maverick HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V52h4BVeuU0

Also, you may try to contact Jackson directly, as they have been very helpful in the past with any issue I have ever had. Dawn is very responsive, even when she is traveling/touring.

Good luck!
Terry Pendlay

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 4:41 pm     tuning problem

thanks to everyone , get it fixed .had to adjust the rod stops....