| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D13th 8X6 edit # who knows?
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 3:10 pm    

Some of you have been following my D13th escapades. I'm in love with this tuning. I made a couple more edits as I have played it. The main edits were to keep from needing to use the RKR with P5 or P6. It does make each pedal have more pulls but works fine on my MSA Legend. I have all the changes from my D10s on this tuning as I don't lower my 6th string on E9th any longer.

Ethan Emeson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 3:45 pm    

Johnny,
Could/would you make this tuning work on a 7x5 guitar? If so, what would be your copedent suggestion for 7x5? Asking for a friend... Wink
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 6:05 am    

Johnny:

In your opinion, would this set-up work transposed from D13th to E13th? Would its efficacy be lost with the change in timbre?

As late as it is in my life, I'm as tempted as I've ever been to take the plunge and acquire a good 12-string guitar and see if I could make that jump.

It's a very well-worked-out concept and seems to have everything covered. The only issue I can foresee is dodging that 5th string when the occasion demands.
Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 9:00 am    

Ethan Emeson wrote:
Johnny,
Could/would you make this tuning work on a 7x5 guitar? If so, what would be your copedent suggestion for 7x5? Asking for a friend... Wink

It can work on 7x5. I would lose P4, the put the 4th and 9th string on LKL and lose LKLO.

Last edited by Johnny Cox on 29 Jan 2022 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 9:01 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Johnny:

In your opinion, would this set-up work transposed from D13th to E13th? Would its efficacy be lost with the change in timbre?

As late as it is in my life, I'm as tempted as I've ever been to take the plunge and acquire a good 12-string guitar and see if I could make that jump.

It's a very well-worked-out concept and seems to have everything covered. The only issue I can foresee is dodging that 5th string when the occasion demands.

Yes sir, this whole adventure started at E13th. I brought it to D13th so the C6th stuff wasn't so high in pitch.
Ethan Emeson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 6:59 pm    

Johnny Cox wrote:
Ethan Emeson wrote:
Johnny,

It can work on 7x5. I would lose P4, the put the 4th and 9th string on LKL and lose LKLO.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Losing P4 and LKLO is clear. But putting "the 4th and 9th string on LKL" - I'm reading that to mean take what you have shown as LKR and put it on LKL instead? And then what goes on LKR - what was originally on LKL? So, in other words, swap LKL with LKR, is that correct?

Thank you,
Ethan
Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 3:29 pm    

Ethan Emeson wrote:
Johnny Cox wrote:
Ethan Emeson wrote:
Johnny,

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Losing P4 and LKLO is clear. But putting "the 4th and 9th string on LKL" - I'm reading that to mean take what you have shown as LKR and put it on LKL instead? And then what goes on LKR - what was originally on LKL? So, in other words, swap LKL with LKR, is that correct?

Thank you,
Ethan

4 and 9 lower on LKL
4 and 9 raise on LKR
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 8:46 pm    

Quote:

Indeed Roger, that "6th" tone, B, would take some getting used to. But stepping back and looking at it systematically, that string fits in perfectly well to the D tuning and doesn't disrupt the harmonic movement of the ABC pedals.

What I have questions about is the "9th" tone, E, on string 8. Although it has obvious uses for E9 style phrasing, I would think this string is the one that requires the most work around, as it cuts right through the diminished pedals that are set up on P6 and P7. Granted, all the notes you need are still there, so I guess its just a matter of getting used to the grips and the 'string dodging'. Maybe Johnny will chime in here. The #9 chord on P4 ends up being an interesting thing though, because that E string actually appears to enable a choice between that chord having a major or min 3rd in the bottom half.