| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger pick issue
Mark Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 4:10 pm    

I’m a newbie to psg and am having a problem with finger picks. I’ve tried most styles of brass and steel Propicks. No matter what I do after a few minutes they become loose to where I can’t grip accurately or fall off.
Any suggestions?
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 4:26 pm    

The secret is a close (not necessarily tight) fit and your round-nosed pliers are your friend. Patience comes in handy too, as getting the right shape takes a lot of trial and error.

Make sure that the blades are bent right over the end of your finger, and that your fingers are bent back towards you. That way the picking action pushes the picks on to your finger, not off it.

See if you can find a copy of Jeff Newman's "Right Hand Alpha".
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 6:20 pm    

Not the least expensive solution but get yourself a pair of Landis Death Grip picks. They stay on better than anything else I've tried in over 30 years.To me they're worth the money.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 8:13 am    

Lick the ends of your fingers before you put your picks on, that will help them stay on. Very Happy
Erv
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 8:24 am    

Erv is right “Lick and Stick”

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 8:46 am    

I now use the Gorilla brand "Double Sided Mounting Tape" to keep my picks on real good (it has a red backing that peels off). It is a gel tape that has some cushioning to it.
I cut a piece a little smaller than my finger nail, and put the pick on. The tape then stays on the pick for a long time and works real good for a long time.
I used to use Mounting Putty, but it is a lil messy.
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 9:21 am    

I second the Landis Death Grip picks. Best finger picks I`ve ever tried.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 7:05 pm    

This is what I use...

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 7:39 pm    

You want to bend the fingerbands so they're slightly conical, they usual come cylinder shaped but your fingers aren't. There's also some that have big bulky fingerbands that catch on the strings, I have to cut metal off with tin snips if I have to use those.

Lots of threads about bending both fingerband and the blade

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=246304

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=216763

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=298186

here's a right Hand alpha excerpt and another vid, Jonathan Gregg about fingerpicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxICmHhqp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1UIPip2iw
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 9:04 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
This is what I use...

Donny, it might be helpful if you identified what that is. Wink
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 9:54 pm    

https://www.elderly.com/products/john-pearse-hi-rider-finger-pick

¥
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 10:11 pm    

First thing get you 3 sets of picks. 1 pair you play with, 1 set Fitted and Hidden, So if you drop a pick and someone steps on it, And scrunches it.

And 1 set, So if someone says, "Let me borrow your picks and I will show you this lick". If you let them have your personal fitted picks, Only the Man Upstairs will know what they will look like when returned.

Most picks have holes either round, Or square if you find an old set of JF picks. Be very careful in bending and shortening, (If Needed) The wrappers on the picks or they may end up a hex or octagon. Instead of an oval that will fit your finger perfect. If you are not careful bending the picks the holes in the picks will act like hinges with angles in the wrappers. As you move your fingers the little bends on 1 pick will catch on the bend of the other pick and 1 of the picks will be pulled off your finger, And go flying.

The set on the left and the set in the middle are picks I have collected and in what I call my Go Fish Bag, If some one wants to use a set of picks. The set on the right is my playing set. I have another Fitted Set in my seat if something happens to these picks.
The black strip in the thumb picks is a small piece of 3M Step Safety Strip. I have used this for about 20 years in thumb picks, Never had 1 to slip off. Warning, Rub the strip on a stone to remove the tall sharpies, For comfort.
I am guilty, I lick my index and middle finger and put my picks on. Good Luck and Happy Steelin BJ

Last edited by Bobby D. Jones on 9 Jan 2022 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2022 9:17 am     Help keeping my picks on!

I'm 78 and have tried everything. When I was 50, licking my fingers worked, but the older I got the less ANTYHING WORKED. I came upon a method that worked for me but was pretty nasty and could get on my strings. That was Fiddle Rosen dissolved in alcohol. It worked so well, I had to peal the picks off when I was done playing, or wanted to do something else, like go to the john. I have since found a new method to keep my picks on. It is double sided carpet tape. A 1/4-inch square placed in the pick to touch the finger pad works like a charm. They do have to be replaced, but not often in my experience. I bought it at Lowes in a roll that will last a lifetime at the rate anyone would use it on their picks. It is paper thin. Worth a try.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2022 10:57 am     Re: Help keeping my picks on!

Dick Sexton wrote:
I came upon a method that worked for me but was pretty nasty and could get on my strings.

Gorilla Snot sublimates, obviating ablution.
Mark Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2022 7:31 pm     Finger pick issue

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! It helps to know it’s not just me.I’m working on fitting a set more carefully to my fingers. If that doesn’t work, I’ll keep going down the list..
Thanks!
Michael Luxem

Northfield, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:22 am    

Mark -- I found that Equate brand paper tape (from Walmart) placed on the top of the picking thumb and fingers prevents the picks from slipping. It also prevents the edges of the pick from cutting into the cuticle, which was my first intention in using the tape. I tried wrapping the tape completely around the fingertip but doing so seemed to reduce fingertip sensitivity to varying pressure on the strings. I tried other kinds of medical tape but found inexpensive paper tape to work best. Good luck in finding a solution that suits you.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 8:09 am    

Back in the 1970s I started out using some old, used Nationals that I "picked" up somewhere. I have no idea where. I have six of them.

I used them for a long time until I first heard of ProPik. At the time, ProPick had just a couple of different styles of picks. I ordered some and instantly fell in love with them. Right out of the package, all I had to do was slip them on my fingertips and gently squeeze the bands until they fit snugly. The blades were already in the perfect position. I retired the Nationals and used the ProPiks for many years. In the last few years, maybe 5 or so, I started realizing that I was really having issues keeping the picks on my fingers. I struggled with them for quite some time. I'm beginning to wonder if age has anything to do with the moisture in my fingers. The ProPiks worked fine for a long time.

I finally pulled out the stash of old Nationals (it took a while to locate them.) and tried on a pair. They felt a bit odd; but, they felt very good and stayed on. Even with my dry fingers, they stay on just fine. I wonder if they are made from a different metal.

One of the problems with the Nationals is the size of the holes on the bands. As you try to adjust the size to fit your finger, they tend to fold a bit at the holes, instead of making a smooth curve.

One evening I got out the pliers and gently unfolded all six of the Nationals to where they were way too large for my fingers. Digging through my toolbox I found that one of my nut-drivers was a hair larger than my fingertips and it made a perfect mold to use, to shape the bands. Conveniently, the "head" of the drivers are tapered just a little. That worked really well. There is still a bit of a fold on the holes; but, not enough to bother me. Now I've got 3 pairs of National picks that are sized perfectly, 3 for my index finger and 3 for my middle finger. Black Sharpie marks on the ones for my index finger. The blades are all angled just right and polished. The picks don't hurt and they don't slide around. No sticky products (particularly sticky body fluids!) necessary.

I have heard of players using a properly sized socket from the tool box as a mold for making a smooth, rounded bend. That should help to prevent the picks from folding during the bending and shaping process.
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 3:59 pm    

A couple of thoughts. You can take the fingerbands of whatever picks and dip them in the PlastiDip stuff they use for putting on screwdrivers, etc. for grip. that works pretty well.

I've been using the Hoffmeyer Custom picks lately--they have a wider band and smaller holes than on the Nationals, and they really stay in place well. I've used all of the others over the years. Used Nationals since the late 60s for playing banjo mostly. Have used the JF diamond picks, Dunlops, Pearse. You name it. The Hoffmeyers for me are by far the best I've ever used. And I haven't had a problem with them slipping. And they sound great too.

Hoffmeyer has apparently tried to reproduce the original metal and finish of the old National picks. I think he's done so while making the picks more comfortable at the same time. The old Nationals could hurt sometimes. No affiliation with Hoffmeyer other than a very satisfied customer.

Dave
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 6:20 pm    

Landis…they don’t slip, they don’t dig into your fingers, once you adjust the proper fit. They aren’t cheap, but they’re awesome. Plus you’re supporting an outstanding engraver, Ron Landis.

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 6:31 pm    

My wife uses Nerd Wax on her eyeglasses, to keep them from slipping on her nose.
It will sticky up a finger or thumb pick pretty well.

https://nerdwax.com/

"Nerdwax is a beeswax-based blend of All Natural and Certified Organic Ingredients specially formulated to keep your glasses in place while you live your life."
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 7:09 pm    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=330702&highlight=
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 1:46 am    

Lee's post reflects my own experience. I use carefully-fitted Nationals without any spit, gunk or tape.

I suspect that whatever metal they're made of becomes etched by your skin secretions so as to lose its shine, causing it to grip better.
Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 4:51 pm     finger pick issues

Hey Mark I had this problem also and was told to use bow wax on my fingers. I found this to really help.
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 6:34 am    

In the beginning, I sqeezed my picks so tight that the tops of my fingers turned blue. It hurt, but I walked around with them all day, to get used to them. Nowadays, they never fall of.
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 7:26 am    

I'm with Marco. My picks squeeze my fingers tightly. I also keep them pretty far down on my finger, so that the curve of the blade closely follows my finger tip and just sticks out a little. They hurt and were uncomfortable for about 3 to 6 months I think (it's been awhile). But my fingers toughened up and now the just stay on and I don't even notice them anymore.

But everyone has different fingers. My Dunlop's wouldn't work for everyone. You could get those awesome silver ones with the spikes inside!