| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music Theory for Dummies book
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 11:05 am    

I'm taking the online E9 foundations course from Paul Franklin and am struggling with all the theory. Would this book help or is there a better resource?
Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 1:22 pm    

For general theory I have a friend who has had good success starting here: https://viva.pressbooks.pub/openmusictheory/part/fundamentals/

My suggestion would be to get a piano keyboard around in order to test out the different theory concepts you'll learn. It'll let you hear them before trying to find how they fit on the pedal steel fretboard. For fundamentals and how they fit on E9 pedal steel I found the dewitt scott book is a easy way in to notation and chords on pedal steel.

Paul Franklin's full course has a lot of segments that do a good job of theory + pedal steel too, possibly just going for the full PF method is what you want?
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 11:00 pm     Re: Music Theory for Dummies book

Brett Hansen wrote:
I'm taking the online E9 foundations course from Paul Franklin and am struggling with all the theory. Would this book help or is there a better resource?

Brett,
Can you provide a couple of examples of the concepts you are having difficulties with?

-Dave
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 7:26 am    

Hey Brett,

Many of us on the Forum can help you with the theory.

I know what you are facing, because it is a steep learning curve starting out.

I've used Paul's material in the past, back when he was teaching by cassette tape. Late 80's early 90's And it was very good stuff. So you already are on the premier learning material in my opinion.

Sometimes a good teacher in person can unravel some of the issues for you. In my case, I lived very near to the Late Maurice Anderson. He got me squared away very quickly in the first couple of months when I started.

But you can post here, specifics and examples etc.. and there are a multitude of top notch players and teachers on here that will jump in and help.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 8:29 am    

Our recently departed forumite Mike Perlowin wrote an excellent book entitled Music Theory in the Real World which is fortunately still sold by Amazon for about $15. He also wrote a pedal steel supplement for that applying theory concepts to the pedal steel E9 tuning and I can send that to you if you would like for no charge- just send a request to steelguitars@cox.net.

Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 5 Jan 2022 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 9:19 am    

Jim, Does the supplement cover C6?
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 9:38 am    

I don't believe it does.
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 12:09 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
Our recently departed forumite Mike Perlowin wrote an excellent book entitled Music Theory in the Real World which is fortunately still sold by Amazon for about $15. He also wrote a pedal steel supplement for that applying theory concepts to the pedal steel E9 tuning and I can send that to you if you would like for no charge- just send a request to steelguitars@cox.net.

Thanks Jim! I will absolutely order that book and email you. That's very nice of you. Thank you to everyone who responded. Learning theory and starting psg at 51 is not easy by any means.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 12:31 pm    

I'd also recommend a smart phone music theory app. I use one called "perfect ear" it has plenty of interval ear training excersizes to work through. Having a good ear for relative pitches is a must for steel playing imo.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 3:07 pm    

Thanks John I will do that!
Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 3:53 pm    

I agree that a keyboard it the best tool to learn theory. Had it not been for my years playing piano, I would never been able to grasp the steel.

Ask yourself this: What is E9, and why does it matter?

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 9:47 am    

Another aspect when learning theory is “practicing” away from the instrument. Just thinking though the concepts, spelling chords, or the number system or whatever while you’re shoveling the driveway can be a huge help.

It can be daunting when you’re trying to learn your instrument at the same time so keeping it as separate practice really seems to help lessen the confusion (for me anyway).
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 2:20 pm    

I use Jack Hatfield's book, "How to Play By Ear" (book & CD), as a textbook in my E9 teaching. Chock full of good stuff, including Nashville number system, predicting chords, ear training tracks on CD... Really helpful for bandstand players.
Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 6:21 pm    

Thanks John!!!!! I'll grab that book too.
Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 6:28 pm    

Brett, what is your musical background? Do you play any other instruments other that the steel?