| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommend Jeff Newman Course(s) for beginner
Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 7:20 am    

I just got my first pedal steel yesterday and I spent a couple hours this morning working up to using my A and B pedals to jam along to a 1-4-5 backing track, working in a couple different positions on the neck. I need some proper training to really get going though. I've looked at Paul Franklin's E9 Essentials and might go for that, but I'd really like to see what similar material from Jeff Newman would be recommended.

There's a bundle of two courses - Pedal Steel Guitar Techniques and The Right Hand Alpha courses - that I'm thinking might be a good place to start.

And, yes, I'm aware of the current difficulties with ordering from Jeffran. For now, I'm just wondering what courses would be most recommended.
Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 10:49 am     Courses

Yes! Yes! Jeff's courses are GREAT!! and there are some folks working on getting these avaiable as I understand it. However, The PFM course is really GREAT!! I've been a student since the beginning and will enroll for another year soon. If you take this and stick with it, you will be mile ahead of the game in my opinion.. Good luck and HAPPY PICKIN'.
Tom Beck

Farmington Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 8:02 pm     Newman courses

Another vote for Jeff Newman! I started with the Techniques and Alpha, then the "Up from the top" courses. The best money I spent on tutorials, hands down. Best of luck on your new adventure Brian.
Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 6:19 am    

Jeff Newman's "Up From The Top" series is GREAT. I'd highly recommend those.
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 6:56 am     Jeff...

I picked up one of his earliest courses, it had Scale cards that you slipped under the fret board, showing chords, intervals and a few fill runs that could be used immediately in a band situation. He finally got a good amount of credit for these early efforts to instruct beginners, but never all he should have. Most then, never made it to Nashville, even to listen to a top picker. Now it's easy to do a face with a touring pro via whatever. Jeff brought it to us! Either correspondence, material or seminars within an easy drive. I hated he passed, doing something else I love! Ask around, some of his early material is still there.
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2022 1:38 pm    

Thumbs up on Jeff Newman courses...

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), and a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).