| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker M11 amplifier
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 9:43 am    

I was gifted the Rickenbacker M11 shown below, by the wife of a dear departed friend. Notice the speaker grill spells RICK. I was able to identify it as some iteration of the model M11. It has two inputs and one volume and one tone control. Tubes are 2 6V6s, 1 6SJ7, 1 6N7 and a 5Y3 rectifier. The tubes are all RCA and all tested good! I briefly tried it out and it sounds glorious with my Ricky lap steels, but when I peeked inside it needs a good servicing. Several leaky, oozy caps need to be replaced at the least.

There are no speaker or pot codes to help me date this amp. There is a code on the Thermador power transformer which appears to be CS13550. Does anyone have any more information about this amp - especially the year? The name on the badge is spelled Rickenbacher. I believe that puts it pre-1950. The flying saucer knob put it post-1939. So it must be somewhere in the 1940s.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 5:12 pm    

Tim, that's a really cool old amp that looks pristine. What an incredible gift. You're a fortunate man.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2022 7:23 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tim, that's a really cool old amp that looks pristine. What an incredible gift. You're a fortunate man.

Thanks Larry! An incredible gift indeed, given my love for Ricky lap steels. Sad to come by it in this way. We only get to care for our instruments for a short time and then they pass on, just like the Red Violin.