| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheap pedal recommendations
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2021 12:42 pm    

I admit it...I succumbed and am waiting on the Sonicake Cry-Bot.

There seems to be a glut of really cheap ($50 +/-) pedals out there. Donner has been around for a while and I see where the "Amazon Basics" brand is popping up. I'm sure there are others.

Anyone find something truly amazing for that price point they would care to share? Particularly for live performance application.

Standing by!

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2021 1:44 pm     This is pretty darn nice

Maryland
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2021 3:02 pm    

Info??

I gather you like it? Why??

hp
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2021 4:35 pm    

I was totally won over by the Behringer Vintage Phaser. Great cheap clone of a Small Stone. Very musical moderate phaser that doesn't break up when you push a while chord through it. Around 35 bucks.
Two other cheap Behringer pedals I like are the UT300 Tremolo and the TU30O tuner, both go for about $25 reach.

A buddy of mine just lent me the Mooer ELady mini clone of the Electric Lady flanger. It runs 50 or so but I just found out the other cheap flangers like Donner with the same knob arrangement have the same board and cost half that. I'll probably buy one myself.

At $100-130, the NU-X Roctary is not super cheap. However, then compared to $300+ for an Organ simulator and a Rotary Speaker emulator is quite as bargain. The Roctary combines a Dual Octave, Overdrive and Rotary Simulator into one pedal for a pretty convincing organ simulation that can also be tun just as a Leslie simulator.

Lastly, I love my Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ as a Resonator simulator. Really sounds good when played with a glass bottle. I think they can still be found quite affordably.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Zoots Houston

Kingston, NY
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2021 6:53 pm    

So many cheap pedals have those tiny trimmer pots on them which I find near impossible to adjust with fingerpicks on.

I have a couple Flamma brand pedals that I enjoy. The “normal” sized pedals are $75ish and the mini pedals are $30ish.

Moen makes a couple cheap “Jimi” vibe pedals that are nice univibe copies.

There’s a lot of cheap phase 90 clones out there that wildly vary.
Usually those companies don’t match and/or transistors so you’re rolling the dice on the usefulness of the pedal. This variance of course carries over to other pedals by those cheaper brands too.

I think buying a used Line 6 m5 or any Zoom MS pedal will get you a handful of useful sounds while being cheaper than getting a few of those super cheap Chinese clone pedals. Both the Line 6 and Zoom are good enough to hang around as a wildcard pedal depending on the gig (and have better resale value than those cheaper pedals too).
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2021 3:07 am    

I read an article recently about "Amazon's Choice" and they are not always the best for the price items. A mystery on how they get chosen. I've bought a couple of the Amazon Choice items and returned them - no more.

If you are looking for reverb and delay, the NUX Atlantic combo is popular with steeler's. I have one and its a keeper and priced right.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2021 5:13 am    

If you've got the time, some of the more reputable you-tubers review and compare the various Chinese clone pedals. There are some real Jem's out there. I'm lucky enough to have a pedal obsessed friend who wades through all those to recommend pedals to me that get close to his premium ones.

The multi effects boxes can be quite good. My little B1on has great tone. However, I'm really enjoying the ease of use of separate pedals though. It's also just fun experimenting with different pedals and arrangements.

If I did get a multi effects box it'd have to be one of the better boxes with separate pedals and dedicated knobs for each effect. I'm not a fan of patches, presets and menu scrolling.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2021 8:15 am     Re: This is pretty darn nice

Tom Wolverton wrote:

Looks like I need to pick this up to go with mine. This way I can dial one in to emulate one of my Dumbles and the other to match one of my other Dumbles. A few more Dumblers and I'll have them all covered.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2021 11:40 am    

https://www.cheaperpedals.com/
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 6:28 am    

I just got a Donner noise reducer pedal from Amazon and was underwhelmed, very noticeably killed sustain, so exactly what steelers don't want but amazon returns are easy now, just drop off at Whole foods or wherever they send you to that's local. (no refund on shipping costs tho)
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 9:55 am    

I've gone through so many pedals over the years for guitars and steels (maybe as many as 50) that now all I use
is my Boss DD-3, I have the DD-5, but prefer the DD-3 and my amp reverb.
It more than does the job I need for the 4 jams I do a week.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 6:58 pm    

I have several of the “inexpensive” pedals my favorites being the “Fish & Chips” eq, and the Behringer V Tone. The Joyo’s are good too.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 2:23 am    

I have been using the Mosky Spring Reverb. About $35 on Amazon and cheaper on eBay. Spring is its only trick (no hall, plate, etc) but it does it well. Can be heard on the most recent couple of tunes I posted.

Last edited by Cliff Swanson on 30 Dec 2021 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 7:45 am    

I watched a good review on the SonicCake Cry-Bot (envelope filter) and liked what I heard. I just ordered one on ebay, new, free shipping $26.39. The new mini pedals seem to be loaded with everything the larger pedals posses.
I use the Nux Atlantic for delay and reverb.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 9:01 am    

Cliff Swanson wrote:
I have been using the Mosky Spring Reverb. About $35 on Amazon and cheaper on eBay. Spring is its only trick (no hall, plate, etc) but it does it well. Can be heard on the most recent couple of tunes I posted.

I was wondering about that pedal. Seems like it'd be a nice cheap option when playing through a bass amp or other 'verb-less amplification.

Is it a Holy Grail clone?

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 10:19 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
Cliff Swanson wrote:

I was wondering about that pedal. Seems like it'd be a nice cheap option when playing through a bass amp or other 'verb-less amplification.

Hi Karl.. I don't know specifically whether the Mosky reverb is a Holy Grail clone but I have a HG reverb and I prefer the Mosky for spring.

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 10:39 am    

The Cry-Bot has arrived.

May the insanity commence!

h
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 10:45 am    

I'm ok in the verb, delay and overdrive departments where my pedals are slightly boutiquish. They are the basis for "my sound".

Occasionally though I/the band likes to go out on a limb and get a tad silly. I don't need to spend an arm & leg to support the momentary insanity.

I'm happy to spend $50 +/- to support those momentary urges though. Very Happy

Looking at phasers next.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 10:58 am    

I'm giving a mostly thumbs-up to the Cry-Bot. My best usage is in conjunction with the volume pedal.
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 11:41 am    

Just plugged mine in. The pedal actually has some heft to it.

Pleasantly surprised how it responds to attack with/without the Vol. pedal.

I must play around more though.

It is at least $27 worth of fun!

h
Zoots Houston

Kingston, NY
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 11:58 am    

Cliff Swanson wrote:
Karl Paulsen wrote:
Cliff Swanson wrote:

Hi Karl.. I don't know specifically whether the Mosky reverb is a Holy Grail clone but I have a HG reverb and I prefer the Mosky for spring.

The Mosky reverb is a clone of the Malekko reverb. The Malekko reverb is the same circuit as the Belton Brick (three PT2399 delay IC’s). The PT2399 delay chip is in an interesting grey area between analog and digital. The emulation of the spring reverb is done without any code/algorithm etc.