| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Herb Remington - "Steel Guitar Holiday" Info
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 6:07 pm    

My buddy Jim Campilongo, writes a column for Guitar Player magazine. He's considering doing one on Herb Remington's "Steel Guitar Holiday" album, which he loves. However, he doesn't have any session info and would like to know who played on it, especially guitar. We default to Paul Buskirk, because he was a Houston (where Herb lived and did some recording) session man who played on some of Herb's later recordings, but we don't really know. It's on United Artists and is from the early '60s I believe. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks,
Joe
Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 6:49 am    

This LP was originally issued on "D" Records in 1959 called Herb Remmington Plays the Steel. I have it listed on my YouTube channel, in my comments I list the players. I can't post a link from my phone.....maybe someone could post a link to it.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 7:02 am    

Chris Clem wrote:
This LP was originally issued on "D" Records in 1959 called Herb Remmington Plays the Steel. I have it listed on my YouTube channel, in my comments I list the players. I can't post a link from my phone.....maybe someone could post a link to it.

https://youtu.be/s0Fh2ogTuw0
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 10:39 am    

Hi Chris and Jerry,

Great! I had forgotten about those "D" label records.
Jim Campilongo

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 9:13 am     Thank you!

Jim Campilongo here. I just wanted to thank you all for your help in finding information about Herb Remington's "Steel Guitar Holiday". I've been a Steel Guitar Forum lurker in the past but as a Tele guy I felt a little hesitant to join. That said, this forum has been a valued wealth of information I couldn't find anywhere else. Most recently, I asked my good pal (and incredible musician) Joe Goldmark to inquire on this forum about Jerry Byrd's Steel Guitar Favorites. Unfortunately there wasn't much insider info. Thanks to Joe, Chris and company I might have enough info to eek out one of my little Vinyl Treasure columns about "Steel Guitar Holiday". This is an album I've loved for decades and a record I think every music lover should hear. Thanks again for your help - everyone, I really appreciate it. - Jim
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 9:56 am    

Welcome Jim. I'll have to check out some of the more recent music. I first became aware of you and your guitar playing through the steel guitar music ads of the Ten Gallon Cats album of several years ago.

I admire you for wanting to highlight the steel guitar and the music of Herb Remington. I'll be watching for any articles in GP.

The forum here covers a very wide scope of steel guitar styles as you probably know, and your input is most welcome I'm sure, whether it concerns steel guitar, guitar or music in general. There are sections for all of these here.
Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 10:08 am    

Although I don't have info on that record - just to add some random info for background on HR - he was the defacto house steel player at Gold Star Studio in Houston - where George Jones cut many early tracks - Herb is on the original Why Baby Why. He had many musical contacts and when somebody for instance, Patsy Cline, came touring through Houston, they might hunt up Herb and sit in with his band after their gigs.

When he was out in California with Bob Wills in the late 40's/early 50's he was in contact with Leo Fender who would lunch with Herb, provide him with steels/amps while asking for feedback on Fender's designs. Herb built his Steelmaster lapsteels designed as a nod to the Fender Stringmaster steelguitar.

And don't worry, I don't think they kick tele players off the steel forum, at least I hope not.

Looking forward to reading the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Star_Records
Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 9:09 pm     "Steel Guitar Holiday"

I had contacted Herb Remington years ago about the album and he gave me a list of the players as well which I have unfortunately lost but glad to see that Chris Clem has provided that info. He was a bit surprised to have interest from far away Australia.

However, he did say that the recording was made using a single RCA44. so it's not multi tracked.

Great recording