| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wayne Gailey Remembrance
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 5:55 am    

Wayne Owen Gailey is remembered today by his friends and family as a charismatic, high energy steel guitar player, whose life was cut way too short. Wayne was born December 14,1938 in Riverside, Ca and passed away on August 14,1978 in Reno, NV. Wayne began his professional career in National City, Ca. playing with Paul Harper and his Westerners. His tenure with Paul Harper gave him the opportunity to experience many adventures playing his style of steel guitar along the West Coast of CA, Vegas and Reno, and in Alaska. Wayne was actually in Alaska when the infamous Good Friday Earthquake of 1964 hit South Central Alaska, registering 9.2 on the Richter Scale. According to family legend, Wayne was in downtown Anchorage walking to the Post Office when the streets and sidewalks began to rise and fall as much as 10 feet. Wayne credited his survival of that day to a light pole that he grabbed ahold of and rode for the entire 5 minutes of that devastating event. Allegedly, Wayne took many photographs that day of the damage to downtown Anchorage, but over these many years, those pictures have not been located.

After Paul Harper, Wayne played with Kenny Vernon and the Boondockers for many years. Wayne relocated to Albuquerque to take advantage of the new opportunities afforded to him by his affiliation with Kenny Vernon. From his new location, Wayne was able to branch out and try his hand at music production, studio engineering, song writing, steel guitar innovation, and eventually managing his own band, Swamproot.

Wayne Gailey’s life ended far too soon. His fans, friends, and family still miss him dearly. His sister, Sonia Jean Gailey, joined Wayne this year into the afterlife where they continue to be our guardian angels. We love and miss you Wayne (Dad) and Sonia (Aunt)! Happy heavenly birthday, Wayne!

Your loving family

Kenny Vernon (seated), Wayne Gailey, Johnny Collard, Don Holiman

Sonia Jean Gailey (Apr 26, 1959-Oct 14,2021)
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 6:40 am     Wayne

Very nicely done. Thanks for posting.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 12:07 pm    

Yes! I was stationed at Ft Carson Colorado for two months (March - April 1971) and heard Wayne at the Navajo Hogan a few times. He wore a pair of cool looking calf skin ankle high zipper sided cowboy boots and I had to buy a pair similar to them. Nice guy to talk to. Great picker. Sad that he passed so young.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2021 9:56 pm    

He's certainly not forgotten by those of us that met and saw him play.

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 7:32 pm     I never knew Wayne but....

when I moved to Albuquerque Wayne had already passed. But all the pickers spoke very highly of him.
I actually played in Anchorage with Paul Harper for 5 months at the Matador lounge. It was an incredible trip playing with Paul. He was an incredible fiddle player and a totally crazy old picker. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot...

Last edited by Ron Sodos on 2 Jan 2022 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 12:21 pm    

I met Wayne in January of '78. We played opposite shifts at the Caravan East. He let me sit at his steel and (try to) play it. He was as good as any steel player I can remember hearing, and he did it on an old Marlen that I could hardly play! He was an amazing musician.